Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Dash

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  ddurr92 
#1 ·
I know this question had been beaten to death, but anyone got any different kinda dash setups? This thing breaks just by sitting in the sun. Top part is great but I can tell it's very brittle.... I cannot afford to have an aluminum dash installed plus I don't wanna give up my gauge cluster... Considering it's original with original mileage. Would like to keep things where they are as far as radio and ac controls and vents. I know it's gonna be a tough project and a decently expensive one. Budget ain't the greatest for this type of thing but I'm tired of the duct tape rigged looking super glue dash haha..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
What do you want? You already know the parts, other than the top, are hard to find. Take a day and start looking through u-pull-it yards and you might find what you need. Search Craigs list for part out trucks. Plan on spending some money for both parts and paint. It is an all day sucker to replace. Lots of screws under it that hold the defroster vents, etc.

Reactions: ddurr92
#5 ·
Ever priced or worked with diamond plate? Most DIY people have neither the skills or equipment to make a decent looking dash.

#6 ·
Actually my plan was to bend and weld. Just need a dash that doesn't fall apart anymore haha. Not to worried about looks but I ain't gonna use cardboard. Lol. Even thought about doing the whole dash in wood but then fires started in my head.. idk. I've never met anyone who works with it to answer your question. Really was just looking for insight and advice on what I could do. Or if anyone had pictures of what they did for inspiration

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Actually my plan was to bend and weld. Just need a dash that doesn't fall apart anymore haha. Not to worried about looks but I ain't gonna use cardboard. ... Really was just looking for insight and advice on what I could do.
I stripped out my interior. Removed the plastic scraps from the steel dash frame. Re-installed the bare frame back in the truck and started fabricating with 3/4" steel tubing. Bending, cutting, welding, tapping and fitting with my MIG welder, Torch set, Plasma cutter and etc.
I stopped at the functional "skeleton" stage, but I could continue to fabricate a skin of fiberglass and make it look "pretty", but I don't know if l'll do that...I like it as is.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.