Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question had been beaten to death, but anyone got any different kinda dash setups? This thing breaks just by sitting in the sun. Top part is great but I can tell it's very brittle.... I cannot afford to have an aluminum dash installed plus I don't wanna give up my gauge cluster... Considering it's original with original mileage. Would like to keep things where they are as far as radio and ac controls and vents. I know it's gonna be a tough project and a decently expensive one. Budget ain't the greatest for this type of thing but I'm tired of the duct tape rigged looking super glue dash haha..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
What do you want? You already know the parts, other than the top, are hard to find. Take a day and start looking through u-pull-it yards and you might find what you need. Search Craigs list for part out trucks. Plan on spending some money for both parts and paint. It is an all day sucker to replace. Lots of screws under it that hold the defroster vents, etc.

Reactions: ddurr92

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you want? You already know the parts, other than the top, are hard to find. Take a day and start looking through u-pull-it yards and you might find what you need. Search Craigs list for part out trucks. Plan on spending some money for both parts and paint. It is an all day sucker to replace. Lots of screws under it that hold the defroster vents, etc.
Basically if anyone has done anything like a different style or fabrication.. like a diamond plate dash or something

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Ever priced or worked with diamond plate? Most DIY people have neither the skills or equipment to make a decent looking dash.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually my plan was to bend and weld. Just need a dash that doesn't fall apart anymore haha. Not to worried about looks but I ain't gonna use cardboard. Lol. Even thought about doing the whole dash in wood but then fires started in my head.. idk. I've never met anyone who works with it to answer your question. Really was just looking for insight and advice on what I could do. Or if anyone had pictures of what they did for inspiration

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
I looked around a little bit. But got tired of waiting 30 seconds per search and some things I looked into said I didn't have permission 0_0

So instead you wait a day for the response that doesn't come. I suggest you find a better service than tapatalk.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I looked around a little bit. But got tired of waiting 30 seconds per search and some things I looked into said I didn't have permission 0_0

why not just use search engine ha ha LOL? It's faster and covers more articles LOL....
just a thought ha ha

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually my plan was to bend and weld. Just need a dash that doesn't fall apart anymore haha. Not to worried about looks but I ain't gonna use cardboard. ... Really was just looking for insight and advice on what I could do.
I stripped out my interior. Removed the plastic scraps from the steel dash frame. Re-installed the bare frame back in the truck and started fabricating with 3/4" steel tubing. Bending, cutting, welding, tapping and fitting with my MIG welder, Torch set, Plasma cutter and etc.
I stopped at the functional "skeleton" stage, but I could continue to fabricate a skin of fiberglass and make it look "pretty", but I don't know if l'll do that...I like it as is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stripped out my interior. Removed the plastic scraps from the steel dash frame. Re-installed the bare frame back in the truck and started fabricating with 3/4" steel tubing. Bending, cutting, welding, tapping and fitting with my MIG welder, Torch set, Plasma cutter and etc.

I stopped at the functional "skeleton" stage, but I could continue to fabricate a skin of fiberglass and make it look "pretty", but I don't know if l'll do that...I like it as is.
Do u have any pictures for reference? Would like to see what's going on .

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why not just use search engine ha ha LOL? It's faster and covers more articles LOL....

just a thought ha ha
I actually tried googling it for pictures . Honestly didn't see much. I'm not lazy by no means so idk why ppl are driving my case about searches.. maybe this forum has gone to sh1t. Smh...

·
Registered
17,307 Posts

Attachments

·
Armchair Mechanic
1,586 Posts
Because we have other things to do besides
Yet here you are....someone seems to be cranky and not the first time I've seen from you. Maybe just don't waste your time with threads you have a problem with if you've got better things to do...

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Maybe just don't waste your time with threads you have a problem with if you've got better things to do...
I gave him some info and a link. What did you give him?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,252 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts