Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
struggling with an issue with my truck. My truck was running great and then one day it was great in the morning she ran beautifully. I parked it and it sat all day . went to go run some errands and she would start. just turned over. I noticed that my man didn't put fuel in it and it was low , but not below the empty line. I knew it was a fuel issue, because it seemed like it was starving for fuel. opened up the water separator and out came this nasty sticky dark fluid and it had these weird crystallized chunks it it resembling sugar granules. what is this ? and what can I do besides change the fuel filters and water/ fuel separater ?? My Other half says it looks like sugar, that I must of made someone mad.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
That could be fuel bacteria, often called algae.
If so, clean out the tank best you can, get some BioBor, and be prepared to change fuel filters often for a while.

·
Trying to learn
5,874 Posts
Either way, empty tank, clean it out with diesel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all
struggling with an issue with my truck. My truck was running great and then one day it was great in the morning she ran beautifully. I parked it and it sat all day . went to go run some errands and she would start. just turned over. I noticed that my man didn't put fuel in it and it was low , but not below the empty line. I knew it was a fuel issue, because it seemed like it was starving for fuel. opened up the water separator and out came this nasty sticky dark fluid and it had these weird crystallized chunks it it resembling sugar granules. what is this ? and what can I do besides change the fuel filters and water/ fuel separater ?? My Other half says it looks like sugar, that I must of made someone mad.
UPDATE
here are a few pictures of what was in the fuel/water separator from today. we have dropped the tank and we are going to flush it as good as we can then add this additive and see what happend's. Now doesn't this look like sugar to you?

·
Trying to learn
5,874 Posts
You got all that out of the tank?

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have neighbors that hate you because that does look like sugar! A good amount would dissolve but I imagine some would clump up like that and sink. Did you taste it? HA!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got all that out of the tank?
Do you have neighbors that hate you because that does look like sugar! A good amount would dissolve but I imagine some would clump up like that and sink. Did you taste it? HA!
actually my neighbors all get along with me, but my Son's father is a POS and lives near by and does not like that he was replaced.But I mean 10 years of abuse was enough for me. Now we share a child. We get along though so I wouldnt think so, but who knows maybe because my new man drives my truck every now and again, that could be enough for the sugar.
He has a 2014 6.7 Cummins and I would hate to think his would die as well. it will all come out one day. I dont believe in retaliation I feel like Karmas ugly face will show up eventually.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Looks like sugar to me too. That's the reason I have a locking fuel capon my truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sadly after all this I have one on it now. a little late but hey after this is all said and done it wont happend again

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Makes me want to try putting some sugar, DEF, and maybe a few other things, in some cups of diesel and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makes me want to try putting some sugar, DEF, and maybe a few other things, in some cups of diesel and see what happens.
I did it yesterday actually in a bowl of diesel and some dissolved but most hardened and stayed on the bottom with the clouded up sugar

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
I did it yesterday actually in a bowl of diesel and some dissolved but most hardened and stayed on the bottom with the clouded up sugar
Does that sample look like what you found in the tank? You may have to give it more time, though.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Run Diet Diesel for a while?
(Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so update*
dropped the fuel tank and replaced all of the filtersand the water seperators. even took the fuel pump and fuel lift pump and soaked them in diesel as well. When we put everything back together and primed all of the filters it wouldn't start. The fuel filter on the engine did not have any sugar on it. We have tried a few ways of primimg and still wont start, turns over great, We tried starting fluid in the air cleaner and that worked good until you stop spraying. :(:(:unsure::unsure:.
What could it possibly be??

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Does your lift pump actually turn on if you bump the key? Next would be best to either measure pressure from the lift pump to the CP3 or diesel fuel output to make sure the pump isn't ruined.

Reactions: rghavana and tryNto
1 - 20 of 23 Posts