Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, this is #2 that I've blown the spider gears out of. What can I do to keep this from happening again? I'm leaning toward the Detroit Locker. Anyone have any experience with them? How do they act on the street? How strong are they?

Thanks, Kip.

P.S. You can thank Dan @ Valair for this one. "Oh yea, third gear launches are cool, the clutch will hold it no problem." :peelout

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just rebuilt mine today, I dont know of any other options as I just put in new spiders, and clutches.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think a detroit locker could solve the problem but I have never installed one so I have no idea if the spiders still exist.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Set the clutch pack up tighter.
That will take the strain off of the spider gears.

Brad

·
Registered
119 Posts
Detroits are ok on the street. I wouldn't get one if you tow, though. I'd look at a selectable locker, like an ARB or something like that. ARBs are very strong, and you can turn it off after you're done playing tug of war, or sled pulling, or pulling that Durasnack out of the ditch, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
i agree with porker heard nothing but good things about arb

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, I've got ARBs front and rear in my formerly DD '78 Ford. I'm running 40s, 4.88 gears, 400hp big block, and a decent right foot. So far, the only thing I've broken is my front driveline.:thumbsup:peelout

Oh, and the truck weighs about 7800 lbs. No BS, either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no dan i took it easy on that guy for fear of breaking something.

they don't offer a detroit for the 3.54 gears do they? are the arb's really that strong? haisley said they put them in the front of their pulling trucks..?? anybody have any experience with the truetrac?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Ok guys, this is #2 that I've blown the spider gears out of. What can I do to keep this from happening again? I'm leaning toward the Detroit Locker. Anyone have any experience with them? How do they act on the street? How strong are they?

Thanks, Kip.

P.S. You can thank Dan @ Valair for this one. "Oh yea, third gear launches are cool, the clutch will hold it no problem." :peelout

Sounds to me like the clutch did its job.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a Detroit in my 6.2 Blazer plow truck. You'll know its there, the truck will turn tighter when you let off, wider when you step on it, and will be a handful in the snow. You'll get used to the truck's tendency to pull in alternate directions depending on which wheel is unlocked.

The good part? I seriously doubt that you can break it.

Ops

·
Registered
119 Posts
My friend broke 2 Detroits in his '93 Chevy.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea the clutch did it's job. It didn't slip. Valair does all they say they will. I think I'm going to go with the true trac. I pull too heavy sometimes to worry about the Detroit. I did call Greensburg Machine in PA. They really know their stuff. He explained to me how they make the Detroit work in the 3.54 geared dana 80's. Eaton didn't even offer anythign for it they just said they don't make one. Those guys said they could make it work no problem, but we discussed it and decided the true trac was the way to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FYI - I am in the same boat as you: 2001 with D80 and 5-speed with a worn out TracLoc. I also want a limited slip instead of a locker because I do a good bit of towing. I called Randy's Ring and Pinion today to discuss available options. He also said that Eaton now makes a True Trac for this rear - it also shows on their website as an option for the D80. He confirmed by running my Dana "Bill of Material" number (on a plate attached to your rear end cover) and confirmed that it will fit my D80.

If you want a limited slip and have a D80 there are currently just 2 options - rebuilding or replacing the factory Trac Loc with another, or installing an Eaton True Trac.

Trac Loc
Pros - It is rebuildable
Cons - It is a clutch type posi and will wear out in about the same period of time that the factory unit did.

True Trac
Pros - This is a worm gear type posi like the Torsen. Because it has no clutches, it has nothing to wear out and it requires no limited slip additive.
Cons - Not rebuildable

I think that I am going to go the True Trac route too. While it is not rebuildable, it is also less likely to need a rebuild because there are no clutches. But if it breaks, it will have to be replaced. Also, because there are no clutches there is no problem using syntehetic lube in the rear end housing. This can reportedly be an issue with clutch type units because synthetic is so slippery that it may not let the clutches engage properly. I don't know if that is true, but I've heard that opinion from many people. It is simply not an issue with the True Trac. Not a cheap propostion though - the True Trac plus the master install kit are about $840 just for the parts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've been running a Power lock posi for 4yrs now in my Dana 80, quite a bit of abuse no problems so far.

·
Registered
435 Posts
LeadSled, I bought my trutrac from 4wheel parts wholesalers, and they told me not to run synthetic oil with this diff, because synthetic is too slipery and the limited slip won't work well. Did Randy's tell you syn thetic oil is OK with the trutrac?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did Randy's tell you syn thetic oil is OK with the trutrac?
No, that was pure conjecture on my part because I know that it is OK with the Torsen and they are very similar in design. But I very well could be wrong. Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check that out before I do anything.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No problem man!! Personally, I'd rather run the synthetic if the limited slip will still work. synthetic oil is pricey, but it's nice to have in cold weather!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you been happy with the True Trac???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts