Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to CF. THANK YOU for bringing a 'value added' post to the thread. :thumbsup:

With this useful info, I went one farther and looked at the DANA 70 info on the site, appears the 70 may be the same setup as the 80:

Dana 70 (267 RBI) Axle Description:
An option Power-Lok limited slip differential features a two-piece differential case, four pinion gears, and a two piece pinion mate cross shaft. The cross shaft provides a ramping motion against a clutch pack on each side gear to transfer wheel torque under poor traction conditions.. Each clutch packs consists of two clutch disks and three plates, and fits between a side gear and the carrier case. One plate and one disk in each pack is dished.

Dana 80 Hybrid (286 RBI) Axle Description:
An option Power-Lok limited slip differential features a two-piece differential case, four pinion gears, and a one piece pinion mate cross shaft. The cross shaft provides a ramping motion against a clutch pack on each side gear to transfer wheel torque under poor traction conditions.. Each clutch pack consists of six clutch disks and five plates, and fits between a side gear and the carrier case. Only one clutch disk in each pack is dished, the rest are flat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the restack to my D80 last week with great results, now i need traction bars lol too much axle hop. It went great, exactly as expected. I used the previously unused outer plates on the front of the pack, and where i had to put 2 outers together i made sure they were both old used ones. My only regret is not making a 2 shims, one for each side out of thin sheetmetal and putting it between the 2 outers that have no inner..it wouldn't have splines in the center but would cause the limited slip to be a lot tighter as i can still make 1 tire spin if i want. It works great now though, i tested it out in the snow last night from 11pm-5am, 3 hours of getting stuck and digging myself out with an axe multiple times, if i hadn't done this mod it would have been much harder getting up and down the mountains(forest roads, not highways)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined here and found this re-stack writeup. Great information well presented. Thanks for your effort....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have never been in an axle before. I plan on restacking when the snow melts. Can I restack both front and rear axles???

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't believe the front axles have limited slip. It is usually only in the rear axles.

:flag1:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone that needs a parts breakdown with part numbers for the Dana 70 or Dana 80 see: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-5DSD.pdf

It is a 57 page pdf file and covers 1999 to 2001 Dodge Spicer (Dana) Drivetrain Components and has a lot of good info. Other year model are available on Dana website.

Great write-up and photos, thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wish CF had more 'newbies' that could add value like the couple in this thread. Thank you for making this RELATED INFO easily available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I belive i have a open diff in my truck but im not entirely sure... Can somebody help me find out if I do.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I belive i have a open diff in my truck but im not entirely sure... Can somebody help me find out if I do.
I wish I could tell you an easy way, you may find the sticker in the glove box that says "anti-spin" diff, or something like that. Short of taking the cover off and looking in the diff, I really dont know an easier, for sure way to check it.?

·
Registered
136 Posts
jack up the rear of the truck. put in neutral, spin one tire. if the opposite tire spins in the same direction you have a limited slip. if it spins in the opposite direction, you have an open diff.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Look at your differential cover. There should be a tag on one of the bolts that says what it is. All Danna 80s are Limited slip differential. If the tag says Model 80 or 286-RBI You have Limited slip differential.
I hope that helps. JJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have heard that not all dana 80s are limited slip

·
Registered
853 Posts
From what I know, they are. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
You can also spin your tires like yeahkkyle said.
JJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did the test and I have a open diff. Really sucks knowing that... now I have to decide what limited slip to get and what it all takes to put a new one in. Some advice from people would be great. I just wanna know whats the best out there for limited slip. I have heard that the yukon diffs are good. Also do I have to buy a rebuild kit to put a new diff in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
just wondering if anyone else has the same issue with this as me. I did the restack a couple days ago after reading this post and it deffinently spins both tires now. Works awsome, but when I go around turns even slight turns I feel a grinding feeling and can hear it with the window down. Going straight its fine. Is this normal after the restack?

Reactions: nlol

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm not sure, mine doesn't make that sound

·
Registered
785 Posts
What fluid did you put back into the rear end after you did the restack? If it did not have the proper modifier, it will make noise when turning and not work properly.

:flag:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put Lucas High performance 80w 90 in it. The bottle said it was for limited slip diffs. ?

·
VP Moderator
12,068 Posts
Saying for limited slip does not mean the additive is present. MY suggest is drop two containers of LS additive in immediatelly and hope you no scored the discs. Now we know reason dana no addemble clutches even. They sensitive as all get out.

Reactions: mackiexj
41 - 60 of 201 Posts