Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... my 1998.5 needs a POSI! So, instead of spending the money on a Detroit or such.. can anyone suggest what trucks to look for a posi unit in? Mine has 3:55's and I hear Dana 80's all came the same wether they were in a Ford, Dodge, whatever.. I need a posi, cus this one tire fire has to stop! :peelout

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just talked to austin drive train and they suggested another type of upgrade and they suggested the detroit is not suitable for the street. I just blew mine up again with the stock posi unit. I would recommend saving your money and upgrading to the detroit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still hoping for a junkyard find.. they hold up enough for what I do.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
might be cheaper to go a truetrac route or just rebuild. i did the same thing a couple years ago and now i'm right back to where i started. the stockers don't seem to be strong enough for the duals.

·
Registered
689 Posts
how about for a single wheel dana 70?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
detroit locker seems to be the way to go but only if you don't pull heavy. arb is tough but expensive. detroits are like $600 or so, arb's around $1100-1300. detroits are more readily available for a 70.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the 70 posi carrier should fit in the 80 case, as its the same overall size just would need to be drilled for larger bolts that are used in 80's case. ??? as far as i know anyways

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I should have worded this different.. it is a 70/80 hybrid, i guess its considered a 70 heavy.. its a 2500. Thanks for the info so far guys!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
70's and 80' also have different side gears for dif. axle splines. I would call
Randy's Ring& Piniion at 1-888-285-6607. They will tell you what is the best for your application. They have hooked me up with a Detroit Locker for my 1968 2wd stock puller with a Dana 70. They were very informative.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Also Ford had a different gear ratio and I don't know if the carriers change offset or not on Dana 80's

·
Registered
231 Posts
I recemend a lockrite for the dana 80. You will love the characteristics of it and it is plenty strong, easy to install and relatively cheap ($400)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll be looking at the P'lock and lockrite. I don't need to re-setup the gears, right.. I can just install the unit w/o setting lash and such? :beer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts