Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of overhauling my 2001 (axle stamped 99 though) Dana 80 due to gear whine, drivetrain clunk and a cracked ring gear tooth that I noticed when I changed my fluid a few weeks ago. When I got it open, I found the carrier bearing had spun on the carrier stub (housings look good though) and that there was a ton of play. Trashed the carrier and went with an eaton true trac.

I got everything else apart, and found what's left of this large washer hiding in the little valley below the pinion shaft, below where the gear oil gets sent over top to the pinion area. I cannot for the life of me find out what this is in any dodge/ford/chevy parts diagram, dana manual, or dodge service manual. It's an 1/8" thick, with an OD of about 3.5" and an ID of about 2". I can't put it back together to tell exactly because there's at least one piece missing. It does have wear marks on the outside of one side, and the inside of the other like it was being used as a shim. I'm guessing this is what cracked the ring gear tooth. When I got the pinion gear out, I found a tooth cracked on that, too. Does anyone have an idea of what this is, and why it's in 8 pieces? Maybe left over from the last time this rear end was rebuilt?

20210221_191622.jpg 20210221_191543.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
From your description it sound like a pre load shim for the carrier bearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From your description it sound like a pre load shim for the carrier bearings.
Totally agree with you on that, but I can't find a listing for a shim that big anywhere. The shims that came with the Yukon rebuild kit are in the thousandths...it would take about 10 kits to make up this big boy. The damn ring and carrier nearly fell out when I took the caps off, so it's missing some serious preload for sure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I found what I think are carrier brg. shims from when I replaced my D80 brgs. 20 years ago. They are ~3.5" OD and ~2.8 ID... way too big for the pinion. Was your pinion missing any shims? 2" ID sounds more like a rear pinion brg. shim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
East coast gear supply. stock# SKC-D80-CB-SPACER. Might be what you need.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The thin shims you mentioned are to make fine adjustments to the preload, the thick spacers are usually reused.

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Looks like a spacer from the side of the spider gears. Compare to other side.

Reactions: DownByTheRiver

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bigfish wins this round...opened the old carrier tonight, and wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Not sure how the hell this happened, but here we are! I saw a listing for thrust washer in the carrier, but figured that was nearly impossible to happen, and it was flat. Won't make that mistake again I guess...thanks for all the advice guys.

20210222_202837.jpg 20210222_205121.jpg

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Ding ding ding. Heat from clutches. Needs complete rebuild. Main gears and shafts are probably the only good parts left. Some body likely never changed oil in it. When done put in LS oil and an extra bottle or two of LS additive.

You will probably need axle drive gears, spiders and all other usual parts. Search 4x4 gear places on google. Maybe replace with complete Yukon kit if affordable. Have not used myself but everybody does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ding ding ding. Heat from clutches. Needs complete rebuild. Main gears and shafts are probably the only good parts left. Some body likely never changed oil in it. When done put in LS oil and an extra bottle or two of LS additive.

You will probably need axle drive gears, spiders and all other usual parts. Search 4x4 gear places on google. Maybe replace with complete Yukon kit if affordable. Have not used myself but everybody does.
I have a dana ring/pinion, true trac and rebuild kit sitting next to the truck as we speak. Nice grove on the yoke, too so I have one of those coming as well. Didn't bother opening the carrier because I'm switching to the true trac, but I'll be damned...can't believe it made it through the spider gears like that. You're right about the heat and never changed oil, both thrust washers were black and the old gear oil that was stuck to the carrier housing is like peanut butter.

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Glad you can do it right. GL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts