Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Damp spot on drive shaft near rear u join

575 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Sparkylv
Changing the rear brakes the other day, and while the wheel is off I am inspecting the rear end and drive shaft.

I look at the end of the drive shaft and see its damp and a tiny drop is sitting on the bottom of it. I wipe the drip, could not get an accurate smell of it because in the process I wiped some rust onto the rag.

So the fluid was unknown. But there has never been a leak where my truck is parked at night.

Any ideas.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
only thing it could have been would be tranny fluid from rear seal to run down driveline. but with the temps changing so much its prolly the humidity...

· Registered
38 Posts
The whole end of my driveshaft was soaked one time, i checked into it and it was a pinion seal leaking. i checked the oil level in the rearend and it was fine. cleaned the pinion seal area and end of driveline up and it mysteriously quit leaking...

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whole end of my driveshaft was soaked one time, i checked into it and it was a pinion seal leaking. i checked the oil level in the rearend and it was fine. cleaned the pinion seal area and end of driveline up and it mysteriously quit leaking...
That is what I was thinking, because it is not leaking down the shaft?

So just run it i suppose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.