Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 24v It has had several software updates that have robbed me of all my power. i have several problems and I will list them all. First when I start the engine It smokes profusly, and if you were to try and drive it you will have dead peddle. after letting it warm up to temp (20-30 minuts) it will run just fine, but I still have this problem of not having origanal power. That being said does any one know how I can get back to origanal power settings. the dealer says they dont have access to that software.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Have you had it checked for codes? Put a box or progammer on it if no codes and it will come alive.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Kind of sounds like an injection pump problem to me

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
yep sounds like an injection pump failing, symptoms are smokey start up and no power until its warmed up, do as suggested have the codes pulled, and post the results,

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Nope, but you can tell whats wrong with it so you put the right parts on it instead of just throwin parts at it hoping they fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This truck has run like this for about 25,000 mi. i was told that if it were injection pump that it would not run at all

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
It will, they take a while to die. I bet your lift pump is dead and has been killin the vp for 25k.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Thats not always the case, these vp44s can show many different symptoms for quite a while before completely dieing.

I agree, your lift pump has probably been dead a while:doh:

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
will the lift pump show up on codes
I think there is a code for it, but it doesnt always come up.

Best thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge so you always know if its getting the proper fuel pressure to the injection pump :thumbsup:

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
You want at minimum 8psi at wide open throttle but 10 psi would be better. Im sure your LP is dead and has in turn killed the vp. If it has dont get a stock POS LP look into an Airdog or Fass, they are pricy but only half of what another VP44 will cost ya.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
11,118 Posts
Sounds like an IP timing issue to me. Pull codes and see what you get. Another vote for shot IP and dead LP!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
White smoke and lack of power is a dead clue the VP44 is shot but I bet if you pull codes you'll find a P0216 error code...

OBD II Error Codes

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
no codes for bad lift pumps

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeap... The only way to find out is install a fuel pressure gauge. Anything under 10 PSI is bad...
Which I might add is DAM stupid as they are the killer of VP pumps....
Good Ol dud ge (dodge )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts