Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Trying to figure out a good twin setup for my build, the goal is around 600hp with a quick spool while getting the big air for the top end.

It will be 85% daily driving and 15% towing/play on the streets

The bottom end is being rebuilt to 0km with stock everything

as for mods the list is this(still flushing exact details out at this point):
024 DV's
90hp injectors
benchflowed/tuned pump
colt big stick cam
hamilton pushrods
120# springs
4gsk
Studs
water/meth
o-ring/fire ring (getting conflicting info on which is best for street use)

essentially it will be an overbuilt engine, just need a good setup to run after the break-in is complete on the stock fuel/air

Will a ported hx35 be a good canidate for the high pressure? or should a s300 frame be use with a s400 as secondary on either turbo

Thanks for the help and ask for anything you feel I've left out

·
Registered
206 Posts
You're literally asking the exact question about the exact build I did when i first posted.
I rebuilt the motor with fire rings and studs. 60 lbs valve springs (went kinda lazy on that)
my initial power goal was 600 as well. That said, i'm still not using an aftermarket cam.... or planning it in the near future at all. No need for the water/meth at only 90hp sticks.

If you want plug and play, diesel power source makes a towing twin kit. 60 psi capable.
If you want true tunability and power, use that nice search bar in the upper left. hundreds of compound turbo threads. click on my username and look through some of my posts while you're at it.
Then go visit Crazy carl's turbos (website)
And Power driven diesel. check out AFC live.

Youre welcome in advance.

Will a mod please close this thread before this poor guy gets flamed into oblivion?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply. I've only been using google but i'll try the forum search as well.

I won't be buying a kit when I can build the piping myself and water/meth is something I run on everything I modify. Helps with egts on diesels and predetonation on my cars, so I've always viewed as a worthwhile investment considering how cheap a quality kit can be put together

·
The 10th Man
3,596 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would a he351cw off of a 2005 be a decent choice? Or should I just step to a s300 frame
There are tones of people running that turbo as the primary, the power driven guys have one making 660 at the wheels with a ht3b? If I'm not mistaken.

And thing quick spooling will work great in your set up.

Call will and Todd and ask about that truck and I'm sure they'll give you some great advise as well as sell you some quality parts

Read and read some more, this is a very common question and been answered over and over and over and over!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations! word of mouth is the most valuable thing a company can strive for.

As far as the original question a lot of people would recommend an s300/s400 set. One of the reasons is that the common s475/96/1.32 is so cheap. My problem with that turbo is that the turbine has proven to support 1000 HP so why suffer the spool penalty when a person only wants 600HP? It will work but you could design a set that will just kill it in spool up and towing performance. I made a set a long time back that used a hx35 and did well over 600HP. I had to use an external gate to waste gate adequately but it was a fun experiment. It could tow amazingly well and run 11.80's at the track. The external gate is good for a performance set but on a street truck it is a lot of maintenance and often a source of exhaust leaks. The he351 has much much better waste gating than the hx35 and would make a much better turbo than the hx35. If you decide on the s400 don't settle for the cheap one at the power level you are after. There are much better options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.