Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some people do not assume that the engine controls reduce fuel delivery below idle regardless of the system and whether it's electronic or mechanical. Particularly in the diesel crowd, coasting in neutral seems to popular because they have comparatively limited engine braking compared to a gasser without a compression brake, retarder, or exhaust brake.

I would like to assume you skimmed over this part, but you clearly included it after trimming the rest of the post out.

Life is not a Michael Bay movie. The truck will not suddenly careen out of control, flip over, and burst into flames. The engine will continue spinning and you will still have power assist for the steering and brakes. Any competent motorist should be able to recover from a loss of engine power, particularly one that was initiated on purpose.

This is not a safe test on a public highway by any stretch of the imagination. Imagine someone trying this and oops... since I shut off the ignition I am having a really hard time making this turn when my steering locks and I kill someone else or crash into a tree and since I am now in a panic I don't think to turn the key back on.

The last thing I want is to have someone who thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows to be trying this little maneuver careering toward me.

·
The 10th Man
4,361 Posts
@Haoleb, while I see your point, there is also another way of looking at it.

When driving a motor vehicle on public roadway, there is always a chance of engine failure, and that failure is not likely to happen to in an opportune moment. It would be good to have some experience with staying in control of the vehicle in these conditions while maneuvering it safely. Being able to gain that experience on your own terms is not a bad idea. Nobody else around, straight flat stretch of road, hazards on, and because it's self initiated, there's no surprise or reason to panic.

Think of it this way, Have you ever gone hunting? Was that your first time operating a rifle? Likely not. Knowing what you're doing and having experience doing it before putting yourself in a possibly tense situation is always a good idea.

I have done the test Tony mentioned dozens of times. With a manual, you hardly notice the key's not even on, you just won't have any power if you give it throttle. Same with an auto as long as you don't let off the throttle, as that will unlock the TC. I have also had legitimate engine failures, luckily the first couple were in almost perfect conditions. The last one happened about two month ago, the truck would try to die, then be choppy, then get stuck at partial throttle, and then try to die again, the side of the road was a bluff so that wasn't really an option either. I can definitely see where someone could panic and do something stupid in this situation. Me? I was giggling like a little girl, thinking how textbook this problem was and how lucky I was to have a bucket of water in the bed.

Also, FWIW, on these 12V's, just turning the key back on ain't gonna do a darn thing, gotta bump the starter to lift the FSS.

The last thing I want is to have someone who thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows to be trying this little maneuver careering toward me.
Naa Man, everyone knows to get chocolate milk, you just don't wash their udder before milking it. Now, I've tried to get a milkshake multiple times, using various different techniques, and still haven't mastered it.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
You only have to shake the udders, not the hole cow. :laugh:
Feed her a bucket of strawberries a couple hours in advance if you want a strawberry milk shake. :rof

Reactions: Cowboy303

·
The 10th Man
4,361 Posts
No kidding? I'll have to give that a shot. I was going for a more full body flavor.

Brilliance! I don't want to waste strawberries, so I wanna master the milkshake technique first. Once I do though, I'm totally going to try it.

Seriously though, DO NOT feed your milk cows onion tops. Never again.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
This "it's do dangerous to be alive" nanny-state mentality is why plastic shopping bags have to have warning labels.

I would reiterate everything I already said about there still being power assist for steering and braking so long as the engine remains spinning, whether that power comes from burning fuel or the vehicles forward inertia is irrelevant, and also the part where I specified "empty stretch of road, yada yada" but if you didn't read it once, why would I assume you'd read it this time...

·
Registered
26 Posts
leaving your rig in gear going down a hill should be standard practice... just sayin, you will find you won't be roasting your brakes as much going down a long and/or steep hill. in an auto, downshifting a gear doesn't hurt either. a few small ways to make your brakes last longer.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts