Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at regearing or buying a used Dana 70 with 3.55s in it to swap out my 4.10s. My question is do the dana 70s use the same carrier for 4.10s and 3.55??? If I found an open dana 70 could I just swap the ring gear over onto my LS carrier??? The reason I ask is because I know in jeeps certain gears use certain carriers...

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
731 Posts
the split looks like 4.10 and down or 4.56 and up. so it's the same carrier

·
Registered
195 Posts
that would be correct, just swapped 4.10s into my wifes truck back in the summer

·
Registered
670 Posts
Maybe Im Wrong

Im pretty sure the split is at 4 10
I believe you will need another carrier:stirpot:
That was the case a few years ago when I was building mud trucks.
Guys maybe right.:thumbsup:
I just suggest some further digging.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
+1 I think the split IS at 4.10, but the 4.10 carrier will use gears that are "numerically" higher" which can be confusing because you would call them "lower" gears.

So a 4.10 carrier will fit a 4.36 gearset... or a 4.56, or 4.88. But not a 3.73 or 3.55 gearset.

I think that the "taller" gearset carrier can run "deeper" gears with a spacer, or "thick" gears, but you can't go the other way with it usually. Though I have heard of special "thin" gearsets to fit taller gears on the deep gear carrier.

Somebody correct me if I got this wrong, though. Or go peek at Ring And Pinion Gears, Axles and Axle Shafts, Drivetrain Parts and Tools - Accu Auto Parts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems there selling everything for 4.10's and numerically lower numbers so I believe that my 4.10 carrier will work. The website totalloser listed shows anything over 4.10s need a different carrier.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Updated

Thanks for verifying that.:thumbsup:
I was sure it was 4:10 split:banghead::spank::shock::hehe:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I went from 3.54's to 4.10's without a carrier swap...... you'll be fine.

I have a good set (140k miles) of D70 3.54's if anyone is interested PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts