Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cutting tool boxes into 3rd Gen bed.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jhbowhunter 
#1 ·
So I wanted to ask a question as I have searched with no avail. My currently project is a 2004.5 mega longbed. I am building it as a travel/overlanding rig with some daily driving weekend camping mixed in. The truck is down for 3-4 weeks while my new engine and transmission are being built.

I need some accessible storage on the outside of the truck. I have seen plenty of tool box setups but as I am installing a topper on the truck to cover the bed, any of the normal cross body boxes are out of the question. I am thinking about cutting the bed sides and installing two larger "underbed" style boxes that I currently have. The procedure would be to cut a hole large enough for them to protrude slightly and weld them back in. Weld in tabs and secure the box to the floor of the bed. This would give me access to them from the outside of the truck. Has anyone seen anything like this? Mind you, I had planned to replace the bed as it has some damage but I think I can work around it by doing this. I am an experienced welder/ fabricator. I believe it would work well and I have some time while waiting for the engine/trans to catch up.

I will be shooting the entire truck in bedliner once it is all together. I'd appreciate some input. I know it's a bold move to "See if it looks ok" but as I said, I had planned to scrap the bed anyway if it doesn't pan out.

See less See more
#2 ·
How far have you gotten with this project? I am swapping the bed out on my 2007 long Box, and was looking to see if you had any success. Built in tool boxes sound cool. I was thinking of "painting" everything to match with raptor liner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.