Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 3500 SLT
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not inventing any wheels here, but I took some pictures so I thought I'd share since I like looking at other peoples pics.

I'm using 2x8 boards here, I could have taken the easy road and used 2x6... but I wanted them a little wider. If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing... right!

Measure the long piece, seems to be 67" with my bedliner.

Okay fine, 1/4" shorter... damnit. :doh:

Then to notch the corners a little bit.

And it sits nicely.

·
Registered
2012 3500 SLT
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, shorter one now... 56"

Notch the ends

And this sits nicely too.

Now, lets try to make it look nice.

Total fail on the finish, don't use that crap paint. :banghead:

Not sure if I'm going to leave it as is or not. I'm not happy with the rattle can job, but I'm having a difficult time convincing myself that I should spend any more coin on inexpensive wood. I'll live with it until I can't anymore!

Bonus pic... New adjustable hitch (Anderson 6" Rapid Hitch) :party018:

Reactions: 2012 RAM 3500

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Nice! Can you coat them with the same material as the spray in liner or would that be a bad idea?

Seems fine to me the way they are! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Uummm...it wouldn't be the first time but...I'm not sure what's happening here.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Looks good. But not sure what your trying to do other than have a board as a seat? ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get the front and back boards, but what's the point of the one between the wheel wells? Just because there's notches there, doesn't mean you have to use it! Actually, I think this is the first time I've seen anyone put a board there....

Andrew

·
Registered
474 Posts
The one between the fenderwells along with the front and rear ones would give you a loading surface for articles wider than 4', like the people that buy that expensive 5' x 10' plywood.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I assumed the one closest to the tailgate would be for small items so they don't roll around in the bed

Interesting to say the least, but I got an adjustable pole from harbor freight that comes in very handy for things like gas tanks, propane, spare tire, etc.....for like $9

·
Registered
636 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the top of all 3 boards are now level. If he covered the entire thing with plywood, he would have a "floor" that is the full width and length of the bed. This eliminates the lost space due to the fenderwells.

I'm guessing these would be removed except as needed to haul something large.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The trick with rattle cans is to warm the cans under hot water, shake repeat. It raises the internal pressure and atomizes better while spraying so you get a glob free paint job and the tip won't clog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like - and need to do the same. I use a bungee cord to hold 5 gallon diesel cans in place when I go to town for fuel to put in the tractors. The cross board would eliminate that hassel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ahahahahahahahaha I've seen the notches in the fenders before but never realized what it was for... now I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you screw them down? Or just gonna let them flop around back there. I guess the workers have a place to sit now.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I did the same thing, made a raised deck by putting 4,2x6's across the bed covered with a sheet of plywood.

Yes, that is exactly why those notches are there.
At one time they ran a TV add showing just that.

So you think Chrysler designed these grooves so people could make wooden box organizers? Or is there a Chrysler part that fits in there?

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Not inventing any wheels here, but I took some pictures so I thought I'd share since I like looking at other peoples pics.

I'm using 2x8 boards here, I could have taken the easy road and used 2x6... but I wanted them a little wider. If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing... right!

Measure the long piece, seems to be 67" with my bedliner.

Okay fine, 1/4" shorter... damnit. :doh:

Then to notch the corners a little bit.

And it sits nicely.

WOW, that was easy.:doh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts