Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to build a stainless steal header for a cummins turbo diesel what are your thoughts on this....i want your opinions to see what you think about this... :peelout

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st generation...... :peelout

·
Registered
135 Posts
Several thoughts for your consideration:
(1) Make sure to provide adequate bracing. The diesel engine sets up some hefty vibration signals during the firing cycle. If you don't provide extra bracing (more than you might see with gasser headers) the tubes will fracture. Of course you will want to provide significant bracing for turbo mounting as well. Your stainless alloy choice may be critical in order to minimize fracture.
(2) As you know the turbo works because of exhaust pressure and because of heat energy as well. Tube headers will radiate heat energy rapidly. You may find it benificial to wrap them to contain heat energy losses.
(3) I would think that tube size would be important. You will want to design for maximum exhaust velocities in order to maximize turbo spooling. I'm not sure where you would fing the correct formulae to determine tube sizes.
good luck with your project.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think it would be something cool to do because i dont think it has ever been done.......which i am hoping it will flow really well and if it is thick enough it should handle the heat..... :peelout

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about ceramicoating the header that would help keep some of the heat in wouldnt it?????? :peelout

·
Registered
787 Posts
Post up some pics!

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
don't want to sound negitiave but it might not be a good idea because stainless does not hold up to vibration very well. however you are right on the heat. it will tolerate more heat than any other common material. i mean you could go with different material and spend alot more money or go cheaper and be less expensive. i have built headers out of carbon, stainless, and titanium. these wasn't used on a cummins but i know the material. doc dyno is correct in his quote. now mind you i'm not saying that it will not work but it will eventually crack. stainless is pretty expensive and i hate to see you waste your money. not unless you can get it free or cheap i would say go ahead, you never know you could develop something great. in other words i think it would be cool to have one but i would hate to see you dump a load of money into it and get nothing. by the way you might try and find some 316L stainless and use sch40 pipe for you tubing with a thich flange plate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i havent started it yet but will post up pics once i start but wont be for a while....kinda broke and my truck isnt done...truck first then i can start messing with this project..........just trying to get ideas first and then build figured it would make it a whole lot easier and see what other options are open.......... :peelout

·
Registered
787 Posts
Isn't sch40 a little thin? Or headers not have to be thick? I know a little bit about pvc and ploy and schedule 40 in that is pretty thin stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i know that headers tubes heve to be pretty thick otherwise they will crack...and i also know that the header flange must be pretty thick otherwise once it gets warmed up they can warp after a while and not seal right..... :peelout

·
Registered
55 Posts
just a thought, but your going to be competing against industrial injection and banks on this one. both of them sell a cummins header now. and yes they are super nice and work wonders. 900 hp truck with 1100 degree egt at wot.

·
Registered
674 Posts
just a thought, but your going to be competing against industrial injection and banks on this one. both of them sell a cummins header now. and yes they are super nice and work wonders. 900 hp truck with 1100 degree egt at wot.
i have not seen these where can i get a look at those?:popcorn:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
were do i find pics of these????????? :peelout

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pretty sure Greg Hogue is putting a custom built header on his project x truck, along with a bigger turbo.

It might reduce drive pressure as well if the exaust manifold is a restriction and the headers offer more flow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
nobody will send out a pic of them. brady at industrial was telling me bout it the other day when i was talking with him.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
found the header on industrial injection needs a better pic though couldnt enlarge the pic to get a better look at it though......... :peelout

1 - 20 of 58 Posts