Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Custom leather?

4365 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  5.9lLcpl
I'm thinking about getting my stock leather hacked up into something custom, not like 'gator skins or anything crazy, but like a black inlay in the center of the seat, or might get some king ranch leather ;)

if yall have some pics or your thoughts that would be cool:S:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
If I ever had to replace mine it would definitely be with king ranch leather or possibly black leather. Ostrich inserts have also crossed my mind.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just wondering how damn expensive king ranch leather would be and what it would look like with a grey truck and grey interior?

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I priced it for my last mega that had cloth seats that I was going to put leather in but didnt. King ranch style leather was around $1600 if I remember correctly

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh hell that aint bad at all really, i mean if its exactly like king ranch leather, hopefully it comes with the kingranch smell :D. cause if its that much or around, i'll get it done.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Ya I was surprised with the price of it myself. I got prices from several different places all pretty much the same. I was told you couldnt get actual King Ranch leather just King Ranch style

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats fine with me, i like the feel and look. but how do you think that would look with grey paint and grey interior?

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
If it were my truck, personally I would do a black leather but thats just my opinion. I think that black leather looks super sharp. But I also like the smell and look of King Ranch. Its almost a toss up but I have to say I slightly favor black leather over King Ranch

· Registered
3,516 Posts
katskinz, ofer all of the above, usually around 1000, but the king ranch style, seems to crack pretty easily.

· Registered
346 Posts
My .02 cents. And that's all

I don't think the king ranch leather would look good in any of our trucks gray or tan. The color it is new is just way off from anything and I think would look goffy and I know on ford the color fades pretty fast and looks like junk.

King ranch does make a leather conditioner that smells great and really softens up the leather been using it for bout 2 years now every time I wash and vacum out the truck or wifes jeep.

I have a tan interior and just put black leather seat out of a sebring in it and it looks great black is just a good all around color it matches just about everything.

And if you like the king ranch feel just look around there are so many differant types of leather. Like harley motorcycle seat leather. That slick crappy stock ford leather. Audi has great soft leather. You just have to look around a lot of online places will send color samples as well. And you can get just about any style in any color.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i remember a friend had a king ranch and his stuff faded reall fast, and im with you on black cgmorgan, my girlfriend is wanting me to get her a 05-07 harley davidson f250 cause of the interior, but i live in south texas so its 103 in the shade so thats the only bad thing about black

· Registered
2,312 Posts
you mean dodge seats covered like this? Seats in the sisters megacab at the ranch, not sure who did the seats or how much they cost but the owner clames to have about 30k in the truck.. its actual leather not imitation and has a cowhide insert and headliner covered in the same cowhide

Oh and its in this truck...

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i like that cowhide only cause its different. but idk im still not sure. can you get a closer picture?

· Registered
2,312 Posts
i like that cowhide only cause its different. but idk im still not sure. can you get a closer picture?
yeah I'll get some tomorrow.. right now its nastier then a chick on the vegas strip outside... I'm not sure who built it, it came to us this way but there is alot of things on this truck I would have done alot different.. alot of the trim and bezels could have been painted better to match the leather and such.. also the leather is a little loose, needs to be pulled tighter... I give it a B... but the looks are still nice...

· Registered
346 Posts
My next project for leather is. I wanna shoot a bunch of wild hogs over the next year or 2 and find a place to tan the skin and dye it the color I want. Then find a good place to wrap my seats in it. And do a 2-tone with the color like a black and tan or color match my tan interior with the taupe and ivory color. And do the stiching in the oposite color with the cummins C emboried in too. I need to get to hunting. But goota get my new bow first. That and find the places to do all the tanning too.

· Registered
449 Posts
Tanning hogs like that would wayyy pricey. I know its around 80 bucks to have a beaver hide tanned into leather useable for something like seats. But thats around here, may be cheaper where you live

· Registered
346 Posts
I know they have kits and tools you can buy and do it yourself. And I have allways wanted to learn. That and taxidermy. But maybe once I'm out of the army I will take the classes on how to do it. Ya know just for a hobby. But if I could tan my own hogs there goes the cost for that and then its just bleaching and dying the leather. Unless I can do that too but who knows. Its just something I thought would be cool hog seat with deer inlays. All killed by me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.