Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up guys. name mike, new here. i am planning on putting a cummins in my 78 bronco, and am going to make a fuel tank for my final project in my shape cutting class. the problem i have is i dont know what/how many openings/what size i need to compensate for on the top half od the tank. planning on using 1/8th in. aluminum w strap braces. basically same size as original 33gal. in the bronc but with better departure angles. if you guys could help me i would greatly appreciate it, sorry for such a long post! thanks, mike

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
:welcome:

I think that you would need 4. 1 four the fill neck. 2 to let the tank breath, 3 line form the tank to the lift pump, 4 the return from the injection pump to the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k thanks alot man. i got the filler figured out but not sure on vent in/out or roll over valve. do diesels need rollover valves? my main concern is the size of the sending unit. anyone know those spec's maybe? i dont got on on hand to measure.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i think that you should buy my 250 gal transfer aux tank:lol3:
that would be the smartest:w:

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Are you going to have the lift pump inside the the tank, or are you going to use the lift pump that works off the cam of the engine.

I used the plastic tank that was orginal with the truck. cut the wires to the sendig unit, and just ran a line to the lift pump, one from the inkection pump for return. I figure that it would be easier to change if the lift pump ever went bad.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Yeah I think so. The cam drive ones hardly ever go bad, and when they do go bad they are very easy to change. Take off the fuel lines and take off to bolts and it is out, that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Don't know if its stock or not but i used1/4" fuel line, works fine for me.

What are you putting in the bronco?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure on the year yet, but i want to put in a 12v cummins. kinda jumping the gun on making the tank before anything else, but the opportunity is here now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts