Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my custom cold air intake. I decided to modify the factory box, which keeps the engine heat away. The parts are listed below:

1) Amsoil Nanofiber Air Filter
2) Plastic Lexan sheet. 1/4 inch thick
3) 4" OD exhaust pipe. 1.5 feet total.
4) Two 4" ID 45 degree silicone boots
5) Clamps

All for under $100! I didn't modify the factory air box intake. The 4" turbo tube has 12.5 square inches of surface area and the factory air box intake is about 11 square inches. Close enough for me. The smooth turbo tube should reduce turbulance and improve the overall flow.

Sorry about the cropped, low quality photos. Uploading these photos was a mother [email protected]&ing stupid nightmare!!! It wouldn't allow for a larger file size.

Attachments

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Thats one of the nicest DIY intakes Ive ever seen. Great job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went outside and took another photo of the entire setup using the lowest quality setting on my camera (640 image size). Even after reducing the file size to the bare minimum using Adobe Photshop, it still wouldn't let me upload the file. It still "exceeded file size limit." How lame! I'm done posting here.

Reactions: mknittle

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
you should try posting your pics on photobucket, then posting them here from there, ive never had any problems with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished my custom cold air intake. I decided to modify the factory box, which keeps the engine heat away. The parts are listed below:

5) Clamps

That's a damn nice custom air intake, where did you find the 4" ID silicone boots and clamps? Did you notice any difference in power or sound?

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
I went outside and took another photo of the entire setup using the lowest quality setting on my camera (640 image size). Even after reducing the file size to the bare minimum using Adobe Photshop, it still wouldn't let me upload the file. It still "exceeded file size limit." How lame! I'm done posting here.
As said, use any one of a number of free image hosting services.
Photobucket works great for me and is very easy to use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also looking for the 4" ID 45 degree elbows. I checked vatozone, checkers and pep boys. All they had was 3" spectere stuff. I think I will call the big rig stealerships and see if they have any.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ha ha, I actually clicked on the thumbnail photos at the top and voila a larger image appeared! Go figure somethings are so easy they are difficult.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, 12 square inches seems like a rather small surface area. Are you sure its not 12 inches squared or 144 square inches? That sounds more reasonable for an air filter. If that is the case the 11 square inches of intake from the stock intake seems restrictive.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pictures

What I did was upload my pictures to a picasa account attached to my gmail addy. I then copy/pasted the link in my profile here on Dodge Cummins. That way a person can view full size pix.... :shock:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

5) Clamps

That's a damn nice custom air intake, where did you find the 4" ID silicone boots and clamps? Did you notice any difference in power or sound?
Unless he modified the other side of the box and opened it up more there will not be any gain.. He just replaced the big hose with muffler pipe and changed the air filter. Looks good though.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Here is another option.
pc of 4 in exaust pollished
2 45* boots
filter from federated auto

Dar

Reactions: UCTJ

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is another option.
pc of 4 in exaust pollished
2 45* boots
filter from federated auto

Dar

That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. so i likes it a bunch, the polishing is a nice touch :thumbsup: Where'd you get the 45* Elbows at?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Air Flow Systems, i think they were something like $15.00 each, i put a short piece of 4 in at the joint of the filter and the tube to have something to clamp on.

I can't take the credit, i coppied it off the DTR sticky and BC847 made it first, he also has an awsome soup pot filter housing.

Dar

Reactions: mknittle

·
Registered
496 Posts
1STGENFARMBOY, is your filter mounted in some way or is just sitting on the inner fender well? Nice looking setup for sure.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Unless he modified the other side of the box and opened it up more there will not be any gain.. He just replaced the big hose with muffler pipe and changed the air filter. Looks good though.
:rof

That's exactly what I was thinking. He basically disassembled the entire factory intake system, then rebuilt it the exact same way with different materials. :doh:

Cool factor? yeah. Performance improvement? nope.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't take the credit, i coppied it off the DTR sticky and BC847 made it first, he also has an awsome soup pot filter housing.

Dar

:shock:

Thanks for the info tho :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The only thing i have right now is the tipical farmboy mount,( bailing wire ) :confused013:
but i am gona build some sort of mount when i get a roundtoit.

if you have a roundtoit ship it to me please

Darwin

Reactions: SKcowboy
1 - 20 of 44 Posts