Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the forum and most of the posts on this topics are a few years old. I have a 2005 5.9L, quad cab, longbed, 4x4 Laramie. I have added an exhaust brake and a turbo saver. My main interest is in improving my mpg when towing my 11,000 lb 5th wheel. I currently get 11 - 12 mpg. I have plenty power and would be concerned with destroying the transmission (auto) if the power is significantly increased. I've already had it rebuilt once under warranty. Would the addition of a chip significantly increase my mpg? With the weak Dodge transmission, should I consider replacing the transmission first? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Diesel sniffer
3,801 Posts
"Hello, is this Chip?"
"Yessir it is"
" Okay good, it's 1997 calling..."

·
Registered
498 Posts
Boy these guys are hard on a new guy! I really don't think you will get much better than 12 mpg towing your fifth wheel. Thats really not bad.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
A stock auto vs built auto is night and day difference while towing. But "good" mileage while towing is hard to come by. I would be concerned more with correct tires (properly inflated) good fluids in the differential etc...

If money is no concern I would to some towing twins and small nozzles (50hp) and a good tune and billet auto.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most programmers have Economy setting or tow setting. I recommend staying between 1,700 and 2,000 RPM's. I average 14mpg while pulling bumper pull slant load with 6 mules. and a long bed full of tack. But my advantage is Manual.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The best thing you can do to any stock dodge auto is a shift kit. Don't wait until it is showing issues either.

I prefer transgo.
It can double or triple the life with simply raising the pressures.

Try stock holes first if you want stock type shifts, otherwise drill as suggested in the kit.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
The Smarty Jr would be your best bet, but at 11-12 mpg already I am not sure how far up it will go. I get 10-12 with my 8K TT and optimal timing.

I mention optimal timing becuase the OEM timing is not optimal for economy/power its optimal for emissions. A Smarty Jr on SW1 will greatly improve your timing.

Are you getting 11-12 on the overhead, or with a calculator?

Most programmers have Economy setting or tow setting. I recommend staying between 1,700 and 2,000 RPM's. I average 14mpg while pulling bumper pull slant load with 6 mules. and a long bed full of tack. But my advantage is Manual.
Hand calc or overhead?

Must be flat where you live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts