Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 single rear wheel truck to pull my fifthwheel camper. The truck has just over 200,000 miles on it. I noticed when test driving it at the dealer that it had been fully deleted. It was also completely obvious that it has a tuner as well.
The truck runs down the road fine. Last night was the first time that I had hooked it to my fifthwheel camper to test it out. The coolant temperature did rise to about halfway between the normal mark and the hot mark. Just before I got back, within a mile of returning from the 10 mile trip, the transmission temp warning light came on. I was accelerating at the time, so I let off and coasted in. I'm planning a trip that's 14 hours each way next week where I'll be pulling the fifthwheel camper over the mountains on the trip. Any suggestions as to what I need to try?
By the way, the camper weighs 9,900 pounds dry. The transmission is a console shift that is capable of shifting like the autostick in the cars. This is the first one that I've seen in the trucks like this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is certainly not normal to get that hot towing unless it was a very steep and long grade. Did the truck lose coolant causing the overheat issue? If not, it could be something as simple as the fins in the radiator/ AC condenser/ intercooler that needs the dirt and debris cleaned from it with a spray nozzle on a garden hose, or a sticky thermostat that is not opening to let coolant flow through the system. Also, it could be the fan clutch is not engaging when it is supposed to (217 F) Mine quit working and I went to a mechanical (viscous) clutch and left the pigtail hanging. Also you might check to see if you have bubbles coming up through the coolant reservoir, which is a tell that the head gasket is out. Many of these trucks, especially deleted trucks, are traded off with a failed head gasket simply because of the high cost of repair. Also, the coolant reservoir will be full to the top when the HG is out, and I know this from personal experience.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My 12 has 125,000 miles on it and I keep the front coolers fairly clean by spreading the coolers as much as possible and pressure washing them with a 90° wand that I made for my pressure washer. I figured it was due for a good flush and coolant change because I have no idea if it was ever done. So last week I pulled the radiator out and that way I could spread the condenser and intercooler a lot more and pressure wash them real good plus soak the radiator inside and out with TSP and pressure wash it. I was amazed at how much more bugs dirt grasshoppers and bird feathers I got out of everything compared to the way I’d done it in the past. My turbo even cools down much quicker, like I was at sea level, rather than in Colorado.
From past experience with thermostats, I also change it every 60,000 miles because these engines need a perfectly good working thermostat when they are worked hard. I also changed the belt while I was at it and replaced one of the idler bearings that was getting dry and loose. All the work was definitely worth it. Actually, the radiator comes out really easy and then you can clean the other coils much much better. Craig

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I didn’t think they made these trucks with console shift. But my 16’ has ability to manual shift. They should all be column shifted.

Need some proper gauges to know exactly what your temps are before worrying too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts