Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cummins Warranty Denial

49K views 231 replies 77 participants last post by  Electrojake 
#1 ·
Alrighty, I bought a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually in late 2018.

This is my story.

I'd greatly appreciate any advise that could help.

Thank you in advance.

On February 3rd, 2020 my Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins Engine suffered a catastrophic failure at 55,000 miles.

A piston rod combusted, forcing through the bottom of the engine and oil pan resulting in a small fire scorching the actuator, various hoses and brake lines.

I was able to transport the vehicle to Westgate Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, located at 2695 E Main St, Plainfield, IN on February 6th, 2020. The Westgate service representative assured me warranty work was relatively quick and painless.

Over the following weeks I called regularly for updates only to find the vehicle was sitting as the Cummins Warranty was not yet approved by FCA Special Investigations Group of FCA US LLC or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

I received a phone call from an individual identifying himself as an inspector approximately a month after delivering the truck to Westgate. He asked a couple simple questions, I answered in kind and I never heard back from FCA until a month later on April, 8th 2020. I received a letter of warranty rejection citing, “…we are not led to believe that the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility.” “We will not be providing any financial assistance in this matter.”

I called FCA to request a copy of the investigation report. I was informed that such documentation is deemed proprietary and thus not available to the public.

I’m at a complete and devastating loss of not only loosing the asset that helped create a living, but it’s accompanied with a $24,150.00 bill to fix it and to further compound my problem I have a monthly truck payment of $1,130.20 while still owing over $40,000.00 on a depreciating asset that in its current state is worth less than half of what I owe.

This situation, this exact situation, is the reason customers like myself go out into the vast market place, practice due-diligence researching the best products that the trucking industry provides. That lead me to believe the Dodge Ram 3500 with a 100,000 mile Cummins Engine Warranty was the safest hands I could possibly be. Yet I find myself in my current predicament, stripped of the warranties I was assured, that I paid for.

Now, I'd like a clear cut solution here and have Cummins uphold the warranty, but why not at the very least provide the report?

I'm confused and frustrated. Have been for almost a whole year paying for this blown out truck sitting in my yard just to save my credit. One debacle I'm at a loss of words for... along with a lot more that too, obviously.

Appreciate your advice, words of wisdom, and insights here... Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Hunt

See less See more
#2 ·
You're dealing with criminals. Probably a lawyer is all you can do but risk more money that might not end in your favour? Really sorry to hear this situation. FCA is pure scum.
Do you have all the maintenance records and such?

#4 · (Edited)
Just a point of clarification, the Cummins engines in Ram trucks has NO Cummins warranty, and Cummins is in no way involved with the warranty process on Cummins engines installed in Ram trucks. The warranty for Cummins engines sold in Dodge/Ram trucks is solely serviced by FCA. I would agree thought that FCA does owe you an expalanation as to why they denied your claim.

#8 ·
Just a point of calrification, the Cummins engines in Ram trucks has NO Cummins warranty, and Cummins is in no way involved with the warranty process on Cummins engines installed in Ram trucks. The warranty for Cummins engines sold in Dodge/Ram trucks is solely serviced by FCA. I would agree thought that FCA does owe you an expalanation as to why they denied your claim.
That is exactly what i had heard. The 6.7 is Chryslers engine to warranty. Cummins can do nothing.

#5 ·
Dang, sorry to hear about that!
Obvious questions will ensue.
First, this seems almost unfathomable at first read, but is there any more to the story?
Modifications to the engine? Tuned, deleted, etc
Significant mods to the truck like a lift?
What maint records do you have?
How did you maintain it?

If this is a clear cut case of warranty denial without any extenuating circumstances, then I would have been taking action a long time ago.
Worst case, I would have bought a junkyard motor or a reman and at least been driving if there was no way to get it covered. Better scenario than letting it sit and getting no benefit.

#32 ·
Dang, sorry to hear about that!
Obvious questions will ensue.
First, this seems almost unfathomable at first read, but is there any more to the story?
Modifications to the engine? Tuned, deleted, etc
Significant mods to the truck like a lift?
What maint records do you have?
How did you maintain it?

If this is a clear cut case of warranty denial without any extenuating circumstances, then I would have been taking action a long time ago.
Worst case, I would have bought a junkyard motor or a reman and at least been driving if there was no way to get it covered. Better scenario than letting it sit and getting no benefit.
Zero modifications.
Changed the oil and fuel filters myself.
Neither inspectors or FCA requested any maintenance documentation.

You're dealing with criminals. Probably a lawyer is all you can do but risk more money that might not end in your favour? Really sorry to hear this situation. FCA is pure scum.
Zero maintenance records... well, I do have a couple oil/fuel filter changes from the first couple months I had it. At the time I wasn't confident enough to do it myself or let a driver do it himself.

OK let me rephrase
is it just me or has anyone else noticed every first time poster in the last year has had a catastrophic failure ? and the ones that follow up are less than 1%
Hold on, give the new guy a little time to respond here... I'm an office guy and I'm only online during business hours.

Why didn’t you compose this thread April 9th, 2020 instead of December 9th, 2020?
Well, I've been reaching out to a couple lawyers regarding Eco Diesel Class Action Investigation to piggy back on that to save myself lawyer fees, but from the comments here it's a cost that I can't avoid.

Terrible story, sorry to hear it. The best advice anyone on this forum will give you is to engage an attorney that specializes in this, and do it quickly. It is amazing what happens when attorneys get involved.
Appreciate the feedback. Inquiring minds are seeking an attorney specializing in such matters.

At the very least they are responsible for telling you WHY it is being denied? Was the truck tuned or modified in any way?
After it sunk in that they had denied me and there was no way, according to the FCA, that they would reverse their decision I turned to getting the inspection report. I was pretty confused as to the "proprietary" deemed inspection report. Granted, when I called around to every shop they didn't perform similar inspections, to figure out what happened. Only pre-purchase inspections. Other than that I spoke to a couple guys that do "exploratory investigation" and write up a report, but it's costly as well. No Mods, seriously, she is stock.

I don't want to vilify the FCA, don't get me wrong, I've called them every word in the book because of the hardship their decision has put me in. Honestly, It made me work harder and smarter. It really does seem like a lawyer would be the best route. Any one have a reference for a lawyer specializing in warranty denial?

six and a half now. I need root cause analysis!!!
I gotta tell ya, I'm gonna be a lifer on this forum. You guys are hilarious.

So ? are we considering this as a troll yet ? 16 hours have passed.

I am going with yes,
Not a troll, just a noob!

Two things come to mind for everyone reading this and anyone who might be in this situation.

#1 - If an investigator calls you, do not answer any questions over the phone

#2 - When #1 occurs, lawyer up

#3 - The burden of proof that YOU did something wrong is the responsibility of the manufacturer. IF you answer questions from the investigator in #1, they have a legal reason to deny a claim for ANYTHING they can say YOU did incorrectly

The investigator / dealer / mechanic / manufacturer is NOT YOUR FRIEND and they will do ANYTHING they can do DENY a claim.

Read this whole thing again and remember it.
Well, there wasn't any major question/answer that would have deemed a rejection in my case, but as a blanket statement, I agree.

#13 ·
Mr Hunt, is their more to this, its unusual for FCA to deny Warranty on un modified Truck if that's the case, Demand an explanation on why the denial.
Yeah, they will when ever they can. FCA denies lots of repairs. DEF repairs are the first they attempt to not pay for, then fuel system. They claim water damage when owner has had no sign of water. The dealers and FCA are good at it. I spent 3 years trying to get a rear seal issue fixed and was lied to by both dealers and FCA.
I will bet they will claim an emission issue caused the major damage or it was caused by an electrical system and is out of warranty for it.
My suggestion is to contact a lawyer, you have little to lose and the cost of a visit or phone call is way less than your monthly payment.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2017-3500
#11 ·
Alrighty, I bought a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually in late 2018.

This is my story.

I'd greatly appreciate any advise that could help.

Thank you in advance.

On February 3rd, 2020 my Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins Engine suffered a catastrophic failure at 55,000 miles.

A piston rod combusted, forcing through the bottom of the engine and oil pan resulting in a small fire scorching the actuator, various hoses and brake lines.

I was able to transport the vehicle to Westgate Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, located at 2695 E Main St, Plainfield, IN on February 6th, 2020. The Westgate service representative assured me warranty work was relatively quick and painless.

Over the following weeks I called regularly for updates only to find the vehicle was sitting as the Cummins Warranty was not yet approved by FCA Special Investigations Group of FCA US LLC or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

I received a phone call from an individual identifying himself as an inspector approximately a month after delivering the truck to Westgate. He asked a couple simple questions, I answered in kind and I never heard back from FCA until a month later on April, 8th 2020. I received a letter of warranty rejection citing, “…we are not led to believe that the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility.” “We will not be providing any financial assistance in this matter.”

I called FCA to request a copy of the investigation report. I was informed that such documentation is deemed proprietary and thus not available to the public.

I’m at a complete and devastating loss of not only loosing the asset that helped create a living, but it’s accompanied with a $24,150.00 bill to fix it and to further compound my problem I have a monthly truck payment of $1,130.20 while still owing over $40,000.00 on a depreciating asset that in its current state is worth less than half of what I owe.

This situation, this exact situation, is the reason customers like myself go out into the vast market place, practice due-diligence researching the best products that the trucking industry provides. That lead me to believe the Dodge Ram 3500 with a 100,000 mile Cummins Engine Warranty was the safest hands I could possibly be. Yet I find myself in my current predicament, stripped of the warranties I was assured, that I paid for.

Now, I'd like a clear cut solution here and have Cummins uphold the warranty, but why not at the very least provide the report?

I'm confused and frustrated. Have been for almost a whole year paying for this blown out truck sitting in my yard just to save my credit. One debacle I'm at a loss of words for... along with a lot more that too, obviously.

Appreciate your advice, words of wisdom, and insights here... Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Hunt
Terrible story, sorry to hear it. The best advice anyone on this forum will give you is to engage an attorney that specializes in this, and do it quickly. It is amazing what happens when attorneys get involved.

#44 ·
He asked about the performance of the vehicle of late and when and where the incident happened. That was it. I know, it's really odd. I just sent another request at Contact Chrysler for the Special Investigation Report. I called in again and was referred to this website and the PO BOX 21-8004 for inquiries. In the last 8 months I have received zero feedback.

so this truck was used commercially ? and welcome I will stand corrected, somewhat.
Yes, It was a hotshot rig out of Indianapolis within a 500 mile radius for a small trucking company called Trans Integrum.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jeremy you have my sympathy. I went through a similar experience with Ford several years ago when a 6 liter diesel over boosted, lifted the heads and trashed the engines at 18000 miles. Ford denied warranty claiming the truck had been modified. I fooled around with a couple of lawyers and got no results. Next step was the Better Business Bureau and the arbitration process which should be detailed in your owners manual packet. The BBB was a pleasure to work with and very helpful. At the hearing Ford's field service engineer lied under oath and presented photos in evidence that were obviously not from my truck. Ford claimed that I had equipped the truck for heavy towing (it had a Torklift hitch installed so I could pull my boat behind when the camper was loaded). Between no engine modification proof and phony photos, the BBB arbitrator found in my favor and required Ford to repurchase my truck from me. The beauty of this route is you will see exactly what FCA is using to deny your claim. The arbitrators decision is binding on the manufacturer but not on you. You can refuse a settlement offer and still sue the lowlifes at FCA. Good luck.

#16 ·
Why didn’t you compose this thread April 9th, 2020 instead of December 9th, 2020?

#18 ·
is it just me or has anyone else noticed every first time poster in the last year has had a catastrophic failure ? then never posts again.
First post - fake news? I’ve been on some forums in the past where you can’t start a thread without a few posts first. I’m a fan of that.

#41 ·
In order to execute what happened to me in any stock, rolling off the lot, Dodge Ram 3500, you'd have to put your foot to the floor for an extended period of time.

Now, this was used commercially, moving building materials, machinery, intermodal containers, etc. and I took care to only haul what was at and below capacity. And I have a long paper trail of every single thing that that truck hauled. Every single thing.

In order to execute what happened to me in any stock, rolling off the lot, Dodge Ram 3500, you'd have to put your foot to the floor for an extended period of time.

Now, this was used commercially, moving building materials, machinery, intermodal containers, etc. and I took care to only haul what was at and below capacity. And I have a long paper trail of every single thing that that truck hauled. Every single thing.
Now that I'm thinking about it, even if I did haul something that was beyond the manufacturers stated capacity the transmission would eat itself to bits long before that engine would do anything, right?

#28 ·
I have a monthly truck payment of $1,130.20
😲

WOW. I cannot even wrap my mind around a payment that high for a vehicle, and the fact that you have to pay that for a truck that's not even on the road anymore is just bananas. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2017-3500
#34 ·
I don't want to vilify the FCA, don't get me wrong, I've called them every word in the book because of the hardship their decision has put me in. Honestly, It made me work harder and smarter. It really does seem like a lawyer would be the best route. Any one have a reference for a lawyer specializing in warranty denial?
Lawyers dont generally charge for an initial consultation. As for the costs, you should be able to work out a payment based on percentage of recovery. The issue with lawyering is it could take 5 years to resolve your case. FCA will be expert at delaying every step of the way. If your case is real, there should be punitive damages opportunity. A warranty binds both parties to the agreement, the seller and the buyer. If the seller breaches the contract, the courts will want damages plus punishment. If you are in breach due to faulty maintenance or after market modifications, there will be no settlement.

#38 ·
That makes sense. I have the truck siting right here in Mooresville, IN...( Ha, Sauder Schelkopf, law firm, just called and said there is nothing they can do for me...) But yeah, that is my main concern. Spending money on a lawyer and not getting anywhere with it.

Have you tried contacting your insurance to see if you can do a insurance claim?
The insurance at the time did not cover such incidents.

#35 ·
Two things come to mind for everyone reading this and anyone who might be in this situation.

#3 - The burden of proof that YOU did something wrong is the responsibility of the manufacturer. IF you answer questions from the investigator in #1, they have a legal reason to deny a claim for ANYTHING they can say YOU did incorrectly

The investigator / dealer / mechanic / manufacturer is NOT YOUR FRIEND and they will do ANYTHING they can do DENY a claim.

Read this whole thing again and remember it.

#39 ·

Same thing goes for the police, never answer any questions or give a statement. Anything you say can be used against you, but never to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.