Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
What has your legal counsel advised you to do? At this point there's nothing else to discuss, you either lawyer up or swap the motor and get on with it. Months and months of soliciting bureaucratic morons will continue to yield the same results. Cummins will not help you, as mentioned previously FCA has zero financial interest in helping you nor do they have a reason to at this point. Either way this will cost a lot of money, but I personally would go broke suing them before I put an engine in it.
I gotta find a lawyer that'll take the case first. One of the lawyers I spoke with has advised me to acquire an analysis -or- inspection report of my own to combat the warranty denial. Show some sort of proof that it was in fact a manufacturing defect. Otherwise, he's not interested in taking the case.

Apparently having a stellar history of maintenance receipts isn't good enough to fight this? I mean, these FCA guys got me good.

I contacted Bosch Automotive Service Solutions her in Indianapolis, they said, "We are the third party inspection company that looked at your vehicle, FCA should have emailed the results to you. If you have not received them I can send them a request, as the third party we do not know the outcomes."
I thought it was pretty interesting that FCA is telling me the inspection is proprietary, but the third party inspector is under the impression the results are sent to the owners of the vehicle. I replied, "I do appreciate the speedy response to my inquiry. Please see the attached pdf of an email I received from FCA claiming the inspection report is considered proprietary and not available. If you can send a request I would be greatly appreciative. I'm at a loss of what to do considering the contradictory information I have received regarding my right to the inspection report."
He went on to say he'd send over a request for the report on my behalf, but likely not going anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
What has your legal counsel advised you to do? At this point there's nothing else to discuss, you either lawyer up or swap the motor and get on with it. Months and months of soliciting bureaucratic morons will continue to yield the same results. Cummins will not help you, as mentioned previously FCA has zero financial interest in helping you nor do they have a reason to at this point. Either way this will cost a lot of money, but I personally would go broke suing them before I put an engine in it.
I gotta find a lawyer that'll take the case first. One of the lawyers I spoke with has advised me to acquire an analysis -or- inspection report of my own to combat the warranty denial. Show some sort of proof that it was in fact a manufacturing defect. Otherwise, he's not interested in taking the case.

Apparently having a stellar history of maintenance receipts isn't good enough to fight this? I mean, these FCA guys got me good.

I contacted Bosch Automotive Service Solutions her in Indianapolis, they said, "We are the third party inspection company that looked at your vehicle, FCA should have emailed the results to you. If you have not received them I can send them a request, as the third party we do not know the outcomes."
I thought it was pretty interesting that FCA is telling me the inspection is proprietary, but the third party inspector is under the impression the results are sent to the owners of the vehicle. I replied, "I do appreciate the speedy response to my inquiry. Please see the attached pdf of an email I received from FCA claiming the inspection report is considered proprietary and not available. If you can send a request I would be greatly appreciative. I'm at a loss of what to do considering the contradictory information I have received regarding my right to the inspection report."
He went on to say he'd send over a request for the report on my behalf, but likely not going anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,238 Posts
I have all my documentation. I have every load that this rig moved commercially, I have every fault code that it threw for the duration it was on the road, I have the receipts for the parts that I replaced and the maintenance. (besides the last cpl oil/fuel filter changes) If they have documentation from their Special Investigation Group that can validate an "at fault driver" or the "black box" discrepancy, then show the goods.
Apparently having a stellar history of maintenance receipts isn't good enough to fight this? These FCA guys got me good.
They (FCA) should be liable by law to explain to you in detail as to why they will not repair the vehicle.
The fact that they can "just say NO" and then walk away is infuriating and completely obnoxious.
Some fun-facts FCA fanboys hate. . .

1.) They (FCA) can do whatever they want since their sheer size (obviously) puts them above the law.

2.) An FCA dealership's prime objective is to deny your warranty. Dont feel offended, it's merely part of their business model.

3.) The quality of workmanship at the service department is so horrid that even if they did honor the warranty your only two choices after the repair was done would be to sell the truck immediately, or flatbed it home from the dealership that did the repairs and re-do the entire job yourself (only this time correctly) i.e. without all the misassembled pieces, missing clips & fasteners, damaged connectors, stripped bolts, etc, etc...

Not that FCA is any worse than GM or Ford.
You would most likely be in a similar predicament with any of the Big-3 truck manufacturers.
In today's market its all bout who can produce a truck with the most bling-bling & inflated specs, and get it out the factory doors at the cheapest manufacturing price possible.

Dont let the smile & friendly handshake fool you!
If truth be told, once the sale is made: You're not the customer, you're the enemy!

The Closer. . .
@Jeremy Hunt Thank you for posting this thread.
It is one of the best reads I have come across literally in years here at CF.com.
Your detailed posts on this saga are greatly appreciated.
I wish you the best on this case and look forward to seeing this unfold with a positive ending for you.(y)
Stay strong and keep us posted!
Best regards,
-Jake-

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
@Jeremy Hunt Thank you for posting this thread.
It is one of the best reads I have come across literally in years here at CF.com.
Your detailed posts on this saga are greatly appreciated.
I wish you the best on this case and look forward to seeing this unfold with a positive ending for you.(y)
Stay strong and keep us posted!
Best regards,
-Jake-
Oh, Jake. In retrospect, this is NOT a thread you should have read. Based on your response, this thread and the information contained within, will only serve to increase the anxiety you feel and the paranoia you experience over that nice truck that is covered up in your yard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oh, Jake. In retrospect, this is NOT a thread you should have read. Based on your response, this thread and the information contained within, will only serve to increase the anxiety you feel and the paranoia you experience over that nice truck that is covered up in your yard.
Even so, he still is not wrong in his anxiety and paranoia, just because others don't see the monster out there doesn't mean he isn't out there!!!
I buy **** and honestly don't even think about warranty as I believe it to all be a huge scam, you end up putting a lot of faith in people you do not know nor ever met and companies that are purely driven on profit to give you somehting that will last but that is all it is, blind faith and hope, nothing more and since these are made south of the border by low wage earners who likely give little **** about quality of work (not that many americans care either- too many spend 4 hrs of their 8 hr day on their phones or computers doing personal bullshit). I have yee little faith in mankind and am as skeptical as they come yet I still shelled out 50k for a 1 ton truck on hopes and dreams...

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,238 Posts
Yes, I see your point but I have a plan!

Now that my truck is paid for I can start my confidence plan!
I'll be stuffing $650 a month (my former truck payment amount) into my glove-box every month.
In 16 months I'll have saved up over ten grand!
Then no matter what happens I should be able to get thru it without creating a family fiscal crisis. Thus driving the Ram will now be "a tolerable risk". :)
Even so, he still is not wrong in his anxiety and paranoia, just because others don't see the monster out there doesn't mean he isn't out there!!!
I buy crap and honestly don't even think about warranty as I believe it to all be a huge scam, you end up putting a lot of faith in people you do not know nor ever met and companies that are purely driven on profit to give you something that will last but that is all it is, blind faith and hope, nothing more and since these are made south of the border by low wage earners who likely give little crap about quality of work (not that many Americans care either - too many spend 4 hrs of their 8 hr day on their phones or computers doing personal bullshit).
I have yee little faith in mankind and am as skeptical as they come yet I still shelled out 50k for a 1 ton truck on hopes and dreams...
@2017-3500 That was one of the most comforting reads I have come across in a long, long time.
Thank you for posting.
-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Comforting??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alrighty, I bought a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually in late 2018.

This is my story.

I'd greatly appreciate any advise that could help.

Thank you in advance.

On February 3rd, 2020 my Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins Engine suffered a catastrophic failure at 55,000 miles.

A piston rod combusted, forcing through the bottom of the engine and oil pan resulting in a small fire scorching the actuator, various hoses and brake lines.

I was able to transport the vehicle to Westgate Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, located at 2695 E Main St, Plainfield, IN on February 6th, 2020. The Westgate service representative assured me warranty work was relatively quick and painless.

Over the following weeks I called regularly for updates only to find the vehicle was sitting as the Cummins Warranty was not yet approved by FCA Special Investigations Group of FCA US LLC or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

I received a phone call from an individual identifying himself as an inspector approximately a month after delivering the truck to Westgate. He asked a couple simple questions, I answered in kind and I never heard back from FCA until a month later on April, 8th 2020. I received a letter of warranty rejection citing, “…we are not led to believe that the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility.” “We will not be providing any financial assistance in this matter.”

I called FCA to request a copy of the investigation report. I was informed that such documentation is deemed proprietary and thus not available to the public.

I’m at a complete and devastating loss of not only loosing the asset that helped create a living, but it’s accompanied with a $24,150.00 bill to fix it and to further compound my problem I have a monthly truck payment of $1,130.20 while still owing over $40,000.00 on a depreciating asset that in its current state is worth less than half of what I owe.

This situation, this exact situation, is the reason customers like myself go out into the vast market place, practice due-diligence researching the best products that the trucking industry provides. That lead me to believe the Dodge Ram 3500 with a 100,000 mile Cummins Engine Warranty was the safest hands I could possibly be. Yet I find myself in my current predicament, stripped of the warranties I was assured, that I paid for.

Now, I'd like a clear cut solution here and have Cummins uphold the warranty, but why not at the very least provide the report?

I'm confused and frustrated. Have been for almost a whole year paying for this blown out truck sitting in my yard just to save my credit. One debacle I'm at a loss of words for... along with a lot more that too, obviously.

Appreciate your advice, words of wisdom, and insights here... Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Hunt
My Titan XD Pro4X is at the dealer right now. It has two codes P0046 and P00AF I believe both codes are related to the booster for the Turbocharger / Supercharger. My truck goes into Reduced Engine Power mode. I only have 60,000 miles. They are telling me that it is an Emissions problem not a Drive Train Problem therefore it is not covered under warranty. Does anyone know should this be covered or not.

Nick

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,238 Posts
Comforting??
Well to be honest about my whole 'attitude' on this... it has absolutely nothing to do with FCA or owning a Ram.
I love my Mexican built Longhorn. The crew at the Saltillo plant did an outstanding job on my particular build.(y)
My issue is simple: It's all about the diesel.

Put a modern emissions compliant diesel engine in ANY light truck of ANY brand and the results are the same.
Unnecessarily heavy, costly, unreliable, and double the maintenance headaches and expenses.
So please understand. . .

I may not be very comfortable in my (diesel) Ram but out of GM, Ford, and FCA, the Cummins is by far the best engine choice.(y)
The Cummins is very serviceable and accessible compared to the V8 choices from GM and Ford, plus in a low rev high torque application an in-line six is simply the better design.
My point is this; The lack of confidence I have with my truck is not because its a Ram, its because its a (modern) diesel.

Besides... With a scale weight of only 12,400 pounds I honestly have no business being in a Ram/Cummins in the first place.

-Ej-

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,238 Posts
My Titan XD Pro4X is at the dealer right now. It has two codes P0046 and P00AF I believe both codes are related to the booster for the Turbocharger / Supercharger. My truck goes into Reduced Engine Power mode. I only have 60,000 miles. They are telling me that it is an Emissions problem not a Drive Train Problem therefore it is not covered under warranty. Does anyone know should this be covered or not.
Greetings Nick.
Welcome to Cummins forum. (y)
Thank you for getting us back on the OP's topic of. . .
Cummins Warranty Denial
-Ej-

·
Registered
113 Posts
Comforting??
To me.... telling it like it is, is comforting.

I would far rather have someone just blurt out when I am dying than someone who pussyfoots around the bush and tries to never tell the truth

I had tons of issues with my truck when I got it, 3 def tank pumps in sub 2 months, but once that was removed no issues at all since...unless you call letting the truck sit in the driveway unattended and undriven for 5 months (well the batteries were charged once at about 3 month mark to bring them up from the 12.3v to about 2 hours later to 12.6v) but another 2 months went by and they were back down to 11.9v, it did start right up at that (suprisingly) but that was the first time it had been started in nearly 6 months, it was then driven about 20 miles and left running for nearly 2 hours during this - the dash said 14v while the engine was running (after about 10 seconds of running and still reading 11.9v), but voltmeter on the batteries 2 hours later said 12.2v, and the dash when not runnnig read the same 12.2v

So likely going to need batteries pretty soon. My last diesel, the oe motorcraft batteries lasted 9 years before shitting the bed, these look to be about 3.5 years and certainly not very good anymore, even my mustang still has the original motorcraft battery at 9 years old now and will hold 12.5v sitting all winter (Oct-Apr)parked outside under the carport

Maybe this ram has a bit more parasitic draw than the mustang? maybe it is just as simple as a marginal battery(ies in the ram case) instead of getting a good battery by dumb luck?

I realize there are scant few manufacturers of batteries, most are just labeled for different retailers ... but I guess I will start the search

I wish the OP lots of good luck on his ordeal, dealing with stuff like what he gone through is so wrong and sad it is maddening that people get screwed that way!

To electrojake, I too don't often use the 1 ton diesel as needed, but I demand having a manual transmission and this was the only option for that in a full size truck! That is what forced my buying decision over anything else... I don't need a 1 ton, most current crop of half tons would do what I need for 80% of the time, but I NEED a manual transmission!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Greetings Nick.
Welcome to Cummins forum. (y)
Thank you for getting us back on the OP's topic of. . .
Cummins Warranty Denial
-Ej-
Earth to jake, come in jake...
He's talkin about a Nissan, but I suppose that's on topic since you derailed the OP's thread...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

Nick
What the heck is a titan xd pro4x?
Is that a larger fuel tank upgrade for the Ram?
And it has codes?

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,238 Posts
Earth to jake, come in jake...
He's talkin about a Nissan, but I suppose that's on topic since you derailed the OP's thread...
Earth to GD... Come in GD...
This forum is called "Cummins Forum" not Ram Owner's Forum.
Nissan pickup trucks, namely the Titan XD, are equipped with a 5.0L Cummins turbo V8 diesel.

So I'd say we agree on one thing. . .
The OP is indeed talking about a Nissan. (y)

-Ej-

·
Registered
2016 RAM 4X4 3500 DRW LIMITED CUMMINS
43 Posts
Throwing this out as an alternative to FCA and Cummins warranty denial. If you Shell Rotella or AMSOIL, they offer warranties on their oil. Not sure if you use either one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Throwing this out as an alternative to FCA and Cummins warranty denial. If you Shell Rotella or AMSOIL, they offer warranties on their oil. Not sure if you use either one.
I think the OP would be very hard pressed to prove that the failure was caused by oil. :whistle:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Earth to GD... Come in GD...
This forum is called "Cummins Forum" not Ram Owner's Forum.
Nissan pickup trucks, namely the Titan XD, are equipped with a 5.0L Cummins turbo V8 diesel.

So I'd say we agree on one thing. . .
The OP is indeed talking about a Nissan. (y)

-Ej-
That 5 liter Cummins used in the Nissan is a horrible engine.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
...blind faith and hope, nothing more and since these are made south of the border by low wage earners who likely give little **** about quality of work (not that many americans care either- too many spend 4 hrs of their 8 hr day on their phones or computers doing personal bullshit).
They may not care about the quality of work, but so far every Saltillo made Ram we've had has been practically flawless.
Especially when compared to US made FCA vehicles, like my 1500 and Cherokee.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts