Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The following is directed at nobody in particular. Just my opinion.

The warranty on a new vehicle isn't worth the paper it's written on. Period.
Just like Insurance For Profit. Life insurance and such. You think they're
gonna cough up a million dollars just because your Uncle Jennifer died?

You guys and gals buying new cars are gambling when it comes to warranties.
I guess many of you are in your fifties and haven't realized this yet. Dunno

·
Registered
825 Posts
The warranty on a new vehicle isn't worth the paper it's written on. Period.
That is a really unfair statement. I along with millions have never had an issue getting a repair or correction done under the manufacture's warranty and that includes experiences with both GM and Mopar extended warranties.

The two issues I've run up against multiple times is getting it fixed the first time and parts not immediately available.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That is a really unfair statement. I along with millions have never had an issue getting a repair or correction done under the manufacture's warranty and that includes experiences with both GM and Mopar extended warranties.

The two issues I've run up against multiple times is getting it fixed the first time and parts not immediately available.
One thing to consider in these type statements. Folks on the interweb may live in different countries, therefore what works for a person in the good ol’ USA, may not work in some other country. Which is the case with the person you quoted.........one of our friends to the north. And vice versa, his statement may be true in his country of residence, but not so much here in the USA.
That being said, the only automotive company that has burned me on warranty is called Government Motors; although I have not had a large warranty claim against FCA so can’t say for sure; with a Super Duty, I had a CP4 fuel system replaced by Ford ( supposedly $10-12 K ) when they saw good fuel in my tank, and no evidence of contamination, there were no more questions asked.
As to the OP, he appears to be here in the USA, so I put a lot of his issue on the servicing dealer.
FCA corporate (or any company) goes mainly by what they are told by the crew that did the original tear down and inspection/diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Another reason on major repairs is to return to the Selling Dealer, In the rare case of denial 3rd Parties+ make the investigation and action more difficult.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Another reason on major repairs is to return to the Selling Dealer, In the rare case of denial 3rd Parties+ make the investigation and action more difficult.
Absolutely, if any way possible. That is what I did with that Super Duty. I hauled it several hundred miles on my own dime to get it back where I bought it before letting some other dealer give some half assed inspection and diagnosis information to Ford Corporate and then have a fight like the OP here.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Don82146, The Blue Oval looks for ways to deny Warranty on Major repairs, FMC believes its a Super Duty = immune from major failure. The other downside to the Ford 6.7 is parts, If you think Cummins parts are Spendee, The 6.7 Ford is 20/50% more and its only at Blue Oval locations parts available.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm guessing that you have never been down the rabbit hole with FCA and seen how they do business behind the curtain.....

Sam

you mean like all the people saying tune your truck then when you have problems, load the stock tune and bring it in for warranty ? it is a two way street that has been abused for many many years.
FCA is tired if being screwed over and now the few legitimate problems are reaping what was sown by the abusers of the system.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,576 Posts
you mean like all the people saying tune your truck then when you have problems, load the stock tune and bring it in for warranty ? it is a two way street that has been abused for many many years.
FCA is tired if being screwed over and now the few legitimate problems are reaping what was sown by the abusers of the system.
You are starting to wander here.....per the OP, there were no mods/tunes done on his truck.... Are you saying it's ok for FCA to screw over the honest owners who follow the warranty requirements as payback for the owners who abuse the warranty with mods??

That's pretty lame......

Sam

Reactions: cwendel and 007Poke

·
Registered
882 Posts
But isn’t that letting fca off the hook. If the motor was defective then it should be replaced. I know fca will have to eat the cost but they are big enough. Why should the next big corporation pick up the tab
Not to mention the insurance fraud aspect as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 2017-3500

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You are starting to wander here.....per the OP, there were no mods/tunes done on his truck.... Are you saying it's ok for FCA to screw over the honest owners who follow the warranty requirements as payback for the owners who abuse the warranty with mods??

That's pretty lame......

Sam

and my truck is 100% stock..........................and I can't get you pregnant I'm sterile..............

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sorry to hear what they are doing to you. It brings back the nightmare of my old 07, dealer pulled the engine 2 or 3 times, replaced tranny, etc I bet they spent $25k in warranty work trying to fix the truck before giving up and declaring it was fine and refusing to do more, forcing me to sue them, or sell the truck. I opted to sell the truck, but I regret not suing them and hold them accountable. The previous owner sold it because it was a lemon, so did I and the person I sold it to took it back to the same dealer later for exact same problem.

Because they know upfront how big your bill is, they are going to dig their heels in, if it was maybe a 2-3k repair they would likely cover it and maybe even get up to 20-25k before giving up, but knowing ahead of time the cost, they'd rather gamble on getting sued. They think about it like this, if they deny $1,000,000 in warranty claims, they might get sued for $50,000 of them and pay even $50,000 in legal fees. That's still $900,000 in savings. Sad but it's how many big companies operate. It's also why when they make the truck, they are happy to save $1 on a part and gamble on how long it will last because even $1 translates to massive savings overall even if they replace some.

There's a few important factors, first the original bill of sale will state the warranty, unless they prove you did something to void it, it's still valid. I had to sue the dealer on one truck I purchased because they claimed it was a used truck and the warranty started 2 years before I bought it even though bill of sale stated brand new full warranty and refused to change and the manager told me if I had a problem to sue them, so I did, as soon as they got my lawsuit in the mail the general manager of the dealership called me and kissed my ass in order to resolve it.

BBB is absolutely useless and FCA will laugh it off, they have no actual power. If you have any hope of getting this covered you need to show them you aren't backing down or going away. I'm in Canada so I can't speak to all the laws there, but if you can, I would prepare and file a lawsuit yourself, just pay a lawyer a bit to help with wording and look over it that way it will only cost you a fraction. You won't be suing just for the repair, you will be suing either for the interest on the loan, or what it cost you to use another truck for the time it's down. It will show FCA you are serious. I would also contact the dealer you bought the truck from and hound them about doing something. Where is the truck currently? If it's at a dealer I would get it moved, you don't want them having access to it anymore unless you have commitment it's going to be fixed.

You also need to make a decision, either sell the truck as is, fix it, or leave it sit until everything is settled (I don't recommend this option). Fixing the truck IMO is the best solution for having proof of what caused the failure to help the lawsuit, you can have the shop who fixed it provide sworn statements about what happened. FCA without opening the engine doesn't know exactly what happened. While the computer tells a lot, it will not tell the exact story and gives you a massive benefit. If you get it repaired, pick the shop very wisely. It is very important to pick a shop who conducts themselves very professionally and who will help you the most in the event it goes to court. Some mechanics are great mechanics, but making statements that lawyers will try to pick apart? Not so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
So the BBB wasn't helpful at all, as suspected. Correspondence below...

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 12/10/2020 against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, LLC. Your complaint was assigned ID 15031951.

The business has sent the BBB a message regarding this complaint, and we are passing it on to you. The contents of this message are below or attached. Please respond to this message within the next five days if your complaint remains unresolved.

Regards, BBB

Thank you for forwarding the complaint from Mr. Jeremy Hunt concerning his 2018 Ram 3500.

Customer sent a BBB Letter to FCA on 12/14/20 requesting Engine replacement for his 2018 Ram 3500 be covered under warranty. The vehicle caught fire and FCA Special Investigations did an inspection which determined the cause of fire was not due to a manufacturer’s defect therefore, any repairs would be customer pay. The customer received a letter from Special Investigations which provided the information.

Thank you for writing and allowing us the opportunity to review the customer’s concern.

Sincerely, FCA
__

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID 15031951, and have determined that this proposed action would not resolve my complaint. For your reference, details of why I am rejecting this response appear below:

An offer of resolution was not made.
By rejecting my claim on the warranty and not providing any information other than you're not lead to believe the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility is not a resolution. It's a passive confrontational sentence providing nothing more than an opinion without facts to support it. It's asinine. It's a debate, for instance, where the opposition says, "I'm not responsible and I can prove it, but you can't see the proof because it's propriety content it's not available to the public." Are we, as an audience and myself (the opposing team), seriously supposed to regard this as an answer? Of course not. So why is this a practice implemented by FCA? My mind can produce a slew of circumstance to the benefit of FCA.
I demand an actual answer regarding this matter.

Regards, Jeremy Hunt
____

Thank you for following up with BBB regarding your position in the above-mentioned dispute.

We understand you are NOT satisfied with the business’s response, and have noted your dissatisfaction in our files. While we regret we were unable to reach your desired resolution, the business has provided BBB with its position. This matter is now closed in BBB files, and will appear in the company’s BBB Business Profile as: “Answered - the business addressed the issues within the complaint, but the consumer remains dissatisfied.”
If you wish to pursue this matter further, you may contact an attorney for legal advice.

Please note, the text of your response may be publicly posted on BBB’s website. BBB reserves the right to not post in accordance with BBB policy, and we may edit your response to protect privacy rights and to remove inappropriate language.

We appreciate the opportunity to be of service, and sincerely hope you will contact us for pre-purchase information.

Regards, BBB

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, what exactly caught fire?

Reactions: 2017-3500

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Ok, what exactly caught fire?
A piston rod combusted, forcing through the bottom of the engine and oil pan resulting in a small fire scorching the actuator, various hoses and brake lines

A piston rod combusted, forcing through the bottom of the engine and oil pan resulting in a small fire scorching the actuator, various hoses and brake lines

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well now you know why they are denying the warranty at least. They are claiming the fire was not due to the rod through the oil pan it seems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I can totally see that as a real and ever present issue for FCA.

Well now you know why they are denying the warranty at least. They are claiming the fire was not due to the rod through the oil pan it seems.
That's exactly my point... it's pure speculation for me to come to a conclusion as to the problem that occurred. I don't know what happened. I mean, I have all my documentation. I have every load that this rig moved commercially, I have every fault code that it threw for the duration it was on the road, I have the receipts for the parts that I replaced and the maintenance. (besides the last cpl oil/fuel filter changes) If they have documentation from their Special Investigation Group that can validate an "at fault driver" or the "black box" discrepancy, then show the goods.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry, I forgot you stated that in your first post.
That's exactly my point... it's pure speculation for me to come to a conclusion as to the problem that occurred. I don't know what happened. I mean, I have all my documentation. I have every load that this rig moved commercially, I have every fault code that it threw for the duration it was on the road, I have the receipts for the parts that I replaced and the maintenance. (besides the last cpl oil/fuel filter changes) If they have documentation from their Special Investigation Group that can validate an "at fault driver" or the "black box" discrepancy, then show the goods.
I agree, if they can deny your warranty without an explanation why, they can deny anyone's warranty.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i'd be contacting every TV and news station i could find, i'd be picketing outside dealerships. and i'd have a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
They think about it like this, if they deny $1,000,000 in warranty claims, they might get sued for $50,000 of them and pay even $50,000 in legal fees. That's still $900,000 in savings. Sad but it's how many big companies operate.
Definitely one hell of an insightful couple of sentences there. A "No F#$&*^#@ way" moment. I never thought of the statistics extrapolated out like that, especially in my particular situation. Appreciate your explanation.

Indeed, the BBB was quite useless in my resolution endeavor.

TCDiesel provided a better avenue of approach, reaching out the the local government and submitting a complaint against the selling dealership. I will wait for this process to come to an unsatisfactory conclusion (hopefully not, of course) before taking it to a lawyer.

We shall see.

and my truck is 100% stock..........................and I can't get you pregnant I'm sterile..............
Wolf... I get the analogy here and while entertaining, I would ask a consideration to be the exception to your rule. Full disclosure, I'm a small business owner, not a truck connoisseur of any sort. The though of altering my trucks after pulling them off the lot is daunting. My fleet is stock, 5 in total and every single one these bad mothers are running smooth and beautifully. I keep their loads 6-7k under the max towing capacity because the trailer wouldn't allow it. I'm in the clear, through and through. I know it seems like I'm straying here, but my point is... if the stock is good enough to haul what I need it to, then why would I change it? Especially if it would put the warranties at risk.

101 - 120 of 171 Posts