Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you guys don't burn me at the stake for pondering this. :S: I have a 2005 Cummins QC that i've really enjoyed owning. However, after 5+ years and 97k miles, i've got the hankerin' for something new. I'm looking at replacing my truck with exactly what I have now...2010/11 2500 CC Big Horn.

I bought my diesel because my GMC Yukon didn't have the balls to pull my 6k boat through the hills of KY and TN. I solved that problem by jumping into the best diesel in the market. (This is my first and only Dodge vehicle i've ever owned.) Now that it might be time to upgrade, I'm wondering if a diesel is still my best choice. From what I'm reading, the new diesels don't get the mileage mine does and not much better than a gasser. I paid a premium for the motor, but got much better mileage and paid less for the fuel. An absolute no-brainer. Today, it's a different story. 390hp & 400 ft-lbs is plenty to tow what I have, but will i regret not getting a 6.7?? I have no intentions of modding this truck for a couple of years and that will stop where mine did...intake, tune & exhaust.

I've been pondering for a bit and would appreciate some opinions. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
585 Posts
I was kinda pondering the same thing, saw a commercial during the football games last weekend that the new Hemi is backed by a 5yr/100000 mile warranty. Hmmm...mileage is probably better too-for sure when empty....tough call.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very tough call. A month ago, I wouldn't have even considered it. But if you take everything into consideration, it's a damn good question. Do I really want to pay an $8k premium to pay a 10-20% premium for fuel on something that I tow with 12 times a year? However...all that said, I don't want any regrets after my purchase and will pay a premium if it's the better choice. If it matters, I don't like the slow lane when towing. lol.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you already have it and love it plus its only got 97k on it why is it time to get rid of it? that trucks got alot of life left just curious

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great question 12valve and that is option #3. No doubt this truck will last, but if i can get into a new diesel for 12k or gasser for 8k, I might trade her in. I'm just gathering data so I can make a good decision. Kicking the tires...if you will.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I went from an 06 cummins to an 09 Hemi. The interior was much nicer and the ride was a hell of a lot better. Best mileage I got on the highway was just over 20 and it got about 17 mixed. That being said, I did not enjoy driving it. It honestly doesn't feel like it has 390hp but I was coming straight out of a 5.9 that was built up a bit. I kept the Hemi for about 4 months and went back to a diesel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you only tow a few times a year and it's not much weight, go hemi. Biggest difference is torque, even though HP may be close......torque moves the truck and the cummins has a nice flat, low rpm torque curve.

But if you don't want downshifting and higher Rpms......it costs to give throttle at low Rpms with a lot of weight and not downshift......and hear the turbo spool. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have owned 2 hemi's, a 03 and a 09, and I will never own another just for the fact that they both had the "hemi tick" I love my 11 cummins!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Personally what hurts the Hemi is the stupid 5 spd auto. That engine really needs a real six speed auto to keep it in the power band.

MikeyB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the comments guys. I did notice the 2010 i drove was much nicer than my 05. I think i get all four tires off the ground just driving around town. lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
sounds like for you're needs only require a gas truck.

i think i could live happy with a 2010 hemi if it had enough options to keep me happy. that's the only problem with my current truck, lack of options.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just buy something nice for your truck and just keep it. Your check book will thank you. Do a front end swap to the 06+ or something that will help you like your truck again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
think of resale value too!
Diesels hold value better than a gasser.
But if it was me I'd keep the 05

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to drive a Hemi this week to see if I like it. What is the "hemi tick"? Also, will a 2500 long bed ride smoother than a short bed?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to drive a Hemi this week to see if I like it. What is the "hemi tick"? Also, will a 2500 long bed ride smoother than a short bed? Here's my take...if i buy it right (at or under current kbb trade in value) and they're fair my trade, I might do it. If I'm unhappy with it, I'll just trade it in a 2012 Cummins when they come next later this year. :) I can't afford new trucks every year, but if you can buy them right and not lose money, why not.

Ya'll are making great points that I kick around daily. Honestly, if she had a few more bells & whistles and a bigger back seat, I wouldn't even be looking. Damn kids (3 of them) are growing by leaps and bounds. lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm going to drive a Hemi this week to see if I like it. What is the "hemi tick"? Also, will a 2500 long bed ride smoother than a short bed?
My 09 hemi always sounded like it had a slight exhaust leak from the engine compartment. That may be what the "hemi tick" is. And yes I would think the long bed would ride smoother.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just something to think about when say the kids are growing, and only a factor for more room with the newer models. I have been threw that and about the time the kids about to outgrow your truck they will find they will getting there own car.:shock:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have the truck in y sig. When we go dirt biking, if we go local i have a 14' tandem enclosed trailer that we put the bikes in for a day of riding. I was waiting for a part to arrive for my truck and we used a riding buddies truck to pull the 14'. I was surprise how a 4,000 lbs trailer (empty if that) made his 2500 hemi (think its an 04 or 05) feel like it was pulling a 20,000 lbs load. With 8 bikes at 300lbs average it wasnt that much weight. It might have been the fact that i was use to towing with mine. But i felt that engine was workng hard. It also hunted for gears and stayed higher in the rpms, which caused it to use more fuel. You have to remember that the diesel engine is working less to pull the same amount of weight. Once i get on the highway i get around 18 at 65 which isnt bad. Around tow my milage is 12 at best. Its all up to you, if its paid for thats extra money in your pocket, plus you know the truck, whats been worked on and you yourself know the exact condition of the vehicle. Good luck with your choice, For the times i tow heavy i really dont need the Cummins, but i couldn't pass it up

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
double post

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know a Cummins is overkill for towing a 6k trailer, but I like overkill. lol. As I said before, I'm not hurting for a new truck because mine is still running great. I'll probably just keep my eyes open for some great deals and be patient. Last thing I want to do is rush into anything.

Thanks for all the replies guys. You know what it's like...you gotta bounce things around and listen to the advice of others in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts