Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is always talking bout his dad's power joke that it is the greatest thing in the world with the turbo whistle at idle and everything. Well he said he can take it out. Its a 2007 6.0 4 door, automatic, six foot bed all stock except for a Bullydog programmer (which I hear aren't that great). My truck is whats in my signature I may have the injectors by the weekend maybe next week. How do you think i will stack up in a drag race? I realize I have a manual and he has about 100hp on me from the factory but how many lengths do you think he will beat me by assuming I row the gears well. Also how bout a good old fashion truck pull. My manual should shine in that situation correct? And if we did pull off, would it be best to start off in 3rd in 4x4 low?

Thanks for all the help. If he comes through this weekend Ill try to get some videos.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think he would beat you fairly bad sucks to say. The PS is fairly quick and is probably about the same or faster then a stock 3G auto. I'd wait until you have injectors and get a programmer of some sort then I think you'd kill him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i raced a 6.0 with a six speed, 5 in strait pipe, and a brute force and i kept up with him

·
Registered
57 Posts
i didn't think that the 07 6.0 whistled because it had a different turbo

i might be wrong

·
Buck Ofama
1,343 Posts
Manuals are hard to race, it is sad to say you would be soundly spanked from a dead stop. If you can talk him into a tug of war, first gear low range, stay on the brake unil he spins, and let him have it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i figured i would lose in the drag but I think i should be able to take him in a pull

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Tell him to bump the tune down on his BD and go for it. It's only fair IMO. I personally will never hitch my truck up to someone elses, I don't think it's very good for the truck..

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
With 100hp injectors and a HOT programmer I think it would be pretty close race. Tug of war, second and 4 low, then drag him around the block a few times. I sled pulled my truck using my Edge Comp, before the hot unlock, stock turbo and injectors, and bald Toyo Open Country tires, and got 40some feet more than a 07 Powerjoke. Keep an eye on your egt's using those injectors. I was using 100hp Jammer nozzles and my egt's got very hot, fast with a stock turbo. Keep us posted:popcorn:...

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
The 07 6.0 powerjoke should not have much of a whistle to it because they changed out the turbos on them. My buddy has an 03 which is the first year of the 6.0 and his whistles like crazy...but that is they year they had so many troubles out of, one being the turbo and that is why they changed and went to a different model. Unless he has put an older 6.0 turbo on his truck for the whistle...which I have heard of guys doing it should not have much of a whistle to it.

As far as the race...see if you can race him from a rolling start that would be a bit better for you. And if you hook up the trucks...3rd gear 4LO and drag him around town! :thumbsup

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had an 05 PSD with AFE intake 4inch turbo back no cat with a race tune on my SCT from Eric at innovative diesel and was running high 13's in two wheel drive with bfg's hope this helps. By the way 05 and up had variable vain turbos and there is still a. Whistle coming out of the pipe at idle good luck and the Cummins is in a different league once you start modding

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
do a 3rd or 4th gear boosted launch and i think you will be able to keep up with him, just say before the race that you have a tow strap for when he breaks down:rof:rof. as for the hooking up to one another, i personally would NOT do it. it doesn't show much, all it shows is who's truck has more traction, whoopie:clapmean:. who knows what will happen to the truck anyways. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Watch out with launches on a stock clutch, if it gives your going no where very quick... trust me. It should be pretty good, but he will probably have ya to be honest. I run the BD with what is in the sig and I love mine, some like them and some don't.

Zach

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am the buddy he would be referring to in this post. You are correct about the turbo's being different for varying years. 03 whistles the loudest. Now back to his question, my thoughts on this are, from a dead stop, I think he will take me until I boost because the 6.0's has some major turbo lag. Once I do though, I think he is going to get beat. Lol I like the post's saying the only way he will win in a pull is if he stay's on the break to get my tires to break loose. Now if you read his sig. It says he has 315's Dick Cepek, where im running 33's highway terrains, and we all know all pulling comes down to is traction. So is'nt really fair in my mind. But I am willing to admit if we did have the same tires, he would most likely pull me, unless he stauls(which he is known for) just for the fact that he can do boosted launches where it is some what diffucult to do on a 6.0. Now for the post about it's easier to get power out of a cummins, I dont believe this is true. The 6.0 are known to be easy to get power out of, does not take much to get them up there with big hp. And the new 6.0's are pretty reliable, just as relaible as a cummins, each brand, duramax, powerstroke, cummins, etc. each have there own little issues, but when this does all go down, im sure one of us will fill you in ;)

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
the 6.0 will kill a 24 valve unless got big list of mods and trans work. With my sig my buddies 03 would walk away no prob with just sct

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And if you hook up the trucks...3rd gear 4LO and drag him around town!
Said to say but a cummins will get beat by the power and the dmax at stock fourm but will pull them anywhere you want them to go.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts