Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes I'm new to the forums. I have a '97 F250LD 4x4 with the 5.4. The motor is about to blow up and would like to put a better motor in. Anyone know what motor will fit? Anyone do this? I have the mechnical knowledge but new to the cummins world. Anyone with help would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
What year truck?

The 5.9 will fit. try FordCummins.com, and Destroked.com.

The cummins is the way to go.

The Gasser trans won't hold up you are going to have to use a diesel trans.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
heres what you wanna do, find a 12 valve mechanical cummins motor, from 95-98. Then you are going to want to find a nv5600 tranny and drop them in. You can try the guys at auto world, here is their site Auto World

destroked may be a little tricky to deal with plus autoworld is extremely helpful.

They will have all the mounts and everyting you need, except for you tranny mount which you will need to fab up. You are also going to do need to do driveline work and some other things.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know if the front suspension will hold up the weight of a 6bt. Basically that truck is just a glorified F-150(not trying to slam your truck), I am assuming that it is the 7700 GVW 7 lug truck. If you are wanting fuel economy, I would try a 4bt, it will fit better. You can turn it up a little to get close to the same performance. With the right gears and a 5-speed you could still do some towing. A diesel version of the 5-47ZF transmission would probably hold up just fine. If you really want to go with the 6bt, you should probably plan on an and suspension swap. If that is the case, give Farmboy Fab. a call, they can give you some pointers-Nicholas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the truck already has a 3" body lift with 35's on it.. as for shocks I'm making custom brackets for the rear and a shock hoop for the front so I can have a lot bigger shocks on it. I know the axles are plenty strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts