Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cummins Surging

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jkidd 
#1 ·
Okay guys I'm at a loss here so anything helps. 99 24v with Airdog 165, 150 injectors, and Edge Comp Box tune, 66mm turbo. Built Trans and TC. I am getting some really bad surging. It's only when I really lay into it though. If i accelerate normally, or just cruising, it doesn't buck or surge. But when i romp it down, at any speed, it surges, really bad. My fuel pressure is good, the airdog is new. All new filters. New IAT sensor. And new TPS & Vp44 a few thousand miles ago. No lines are pinched or cracked. The only thing I can think is maybe the MAP sensor, or the wire tap on the VP wasnt great. I have a stealth cover to put on. When I unhook the tune it still does it. It doesn't do it as bad, but It still surges. Not sure what the issue is, anything can help Thanks!

#3 ·
Nope just the comp. and the 150 injectors obviously. But it does it at any power level. Even if I unhook it the box it still does it, just not as bad. Today it started sputtering really bad. I think it could be a map sensor. Going to replace it and see, if it’s not idk what it could be.

#5 ·
Check for codes on the ecm, really sounds like something to do with the vp44 mine did the same thing and when I checked the codes I had the death code for VP. It won’t always throw a check engine light.

2002 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Laramie Slt Plus, Nv5600 4x4, SuperStick Transmissions Nv5600, Dana 60 front, Dana 80 rear, 4.10 diff ratio, Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 iquad bt, Beans Diesel sump, Airdog II 4g 165, ARP 2000’s (425’s), Heavy duty pushrods, 110lb valve springs, 7x0011 sac injectors (175’s), reman H.O. VP44, Bd Diesel Stealth Cover, Crazy Carl’s Compound Piping Kit, Holset HX35W with (Ported wastegate), BorgWarner s464 1.10 a/r, Afe Proguard cold air intake, CFM+ intake manifold, Fluiddamper, Valair Street dual disk organic clutch, 285/75/16 all around, 2in spacers in rear, Mbrp turbo back 5in down-pipe to 5in exhaust with 7in tip, Genos Garage Britebox, Sport converted headlights.

#8 ·
Can you give more details on the turbo? 66mm is not ideal for a street vp44 truck. What turbine housing does it have? Surging can happen when you are out of the compressor map.

150 injectors, and Edge Comp Box tune, 66mm turbo

Ease into throttle,
Tighter turbine housing
Custom tune with Quadzilla
--- smaller turbo 62/68/12 would fix it too.

#9 ·
Can you give more details on the turbo? 66mm is not ideal for a street vp44 truck. What turbine housing does it have? Surging can happen when you are out of the compressor map.

150 injectors, and Edge Comp Box tune, 66mm turbo

Ease into throttle,
Tighter turbine housing
Custom tune with Quadzilla
--- smaller turbo 62/68/12 would fix it too.
It has a silver bullet 66 on it. it was on the truck when i bought it. And yes when I ease into the throttle it doesn't sure or sputter as bad, but it still does it. When I tow its even worse, it does it all the time even when I ease into the throttle. It only stops when i am in overdrive and just cruising. Even then it will sometimes surge a bit.

#10 ·
Yes that turbo is big for a VP44 truck that tows. Airflow mods may help to change the surging (head porting, tunnel ram, pusher split intake or a cam.)
So would compounds, or changing torque converter stall speed or ring/pinion gears. Custom tuning with adrenaline, moving to a different altitiude....

What is your budget? Changing multiple components to try to support a mis matched one can get expensive than changing to a 62/68/12 SXE with less favorable results.

66mm is great for 600HP+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.