Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, ive been a cummins diesel fanatic since i can remember. im almost done high school just have one class left, so i am now working full time. well i just came across a 2008 6.7 mega cab slt it is white. it has 320,000km or about 198,000miles. interior and exterior are mint condition. just had recent work on tranny, and diffs. it still has the dpf though, if i buy it the deletes will be done for sure. they are asking $21,000 canadian. i just wanted a second opinion, do you guys think this would last, and be worth the money.
or my uncle has an 06 5.9 4 door normal cab, with 216,000km/ 134,000miles. for the same price as $21,000. witch would you buy. or should i keep looking.
They are both 4x4 and automatics, i wish they were manual though.
Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
198,000 miles for a 2008........holy crapola!

Both are overpriced......

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
I've seen '08 220 000km trucks go for around $21k here in Alberta. Problem being, you never know if you're buying a rig truck or not. I know mine was owned by a concrete finishing company then a guy who owned it for 3 months and lost his income so he had to sell the truck. Just for reference, mine has 167 000km, fully loaded laramie for $29.5k

Best to keep looking until you find "the deal" you can't pass up. Mine just happened to be that deal for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree both are over priced, I just bought a 07.5 mega 3500 4x4 loaded with 110000km for $26500.00. So I would keep looking. Best of luck you will find the right truck for the right price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if i could try and get a better price would it be ok? what do you guys think its worth?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I would keep looking. That is a lot of miles for a 3 year old truck.

Offer them $15k and see what they say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone think it would last much longer without majour repairs. im sure the engine will last a long time.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Problem with such a high mileage 6.7 without deletes is the fact that soot gets EVERYWHERE in them, the regen cycle washes the cylinders with diesel (contaminating and reducing the lubricity of the oil). I didn't blink an eye when I bought my 5.9 Second Generation with 450 000km on it cause I know that's a million mile engine. The 6.7 on regen injects fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, not good, they might as well have put another injector in the exhaust manifold and avoided the engine washing. I'd say the 6.7 would be ok if it had deletes done and was cheaper, but it's not. Heck, even I'm worried about my 6.7 at 167 000km with only the DPF delete and "exhaust filter plugged" message that can't be erased - is the truck in a constant state of regen? Is it washing the cyclinders all the time trying to clean the ficticious "plugged exhaust filter"? Save your pennies and find a steal of a deal, shouldn't be hard in this economy, you just need patience young Patawan!

·
Registered
20 Posts
im just finishing up highschool also! and ya i looked for about a year before i found a hell of a deal and i drove 1300 miles to get it. if you look for a long enough time you will find one that you have no doubts about. it also gives you time to save some money:party018:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
When I was in High School I drove a ford taurus........ and was glad to have that!
same here.....when i was in highschool i drove a 79' Ford and a Honda CRX...having a Cummins would have been awesome!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
hello, ive been a cummins diesel fanatic since i can remember. im almost done high school just have one class left, so i am now working full time. well i just came across a 2008 6.7 mega cab slt it is white. it has 320,000km or about 198,000miles. interior and exterior are mint condition. just had recent work on tranny, and diffs. it still has the dpf though, if i buy it the deletes will be done for sure. they are asking $21,000 canadian. i just wanted a second opinion, do you guys think this would last, and be worth the money.
or my uncle has an 06 5.9 4 door normal cab, with 216,000km/ 134,000miles. for the same price as $21,000. witch would you buy. or should i keep looking.
They are both 4x4 and automatics, i wish they were manual though.
Thanks, Mike
I would look south of the Canadian border, lots of good deals out there. Also forget buying the new stuff. I would look for a truck that an 02 or older. They don't have all the common rail issues, and stay away from the 6.7L, its super expensive to fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im driving a rusty 2wd gmc 1500 5.7, but i have a lot of money saved up, and now im starting to work full time, so i decided i would get a loan for my dream truck!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
im driving a rusty 2wd gmc 1500 5.7, but i have a lot of money saved up, and now im starting to work full time, so i decided i would get a loan for my dream truck!

I would just slam in a 5.9L CTD 12V into the jimmy or go the 6.7L P7100 pee pumper route. Would really improve your fuel mileage and drag et's.:hehe:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got mine for 32,500. 07.5 3/4 ton 4x4 auto cc sb with 73,000km lease return ULTRA eat off any surface clean with EVERY service record, needed nothing except deletes. I poked around for awhile looking for the right truck and walked away from alot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i talked to the guy again, and he said it was used for hauling a 5th wheel flat bed for his buisness, but was his personal truck. better then in town driving i guess. What are some good classified websites for trucks in the states, maybe that would be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I use ebay or autotrader. Lots of cheap old iron out there. You just have to look. Up in where I live, truck take a beating, if you drive them year round. My 02 is just starting to rust, and I only have 300000km's on it.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Look in the states where the economy is doing poorly and they don't use road salt.

Say Nevada or Arizona maybe?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got my 08 3500 quad with 5000mi for $32.000

1 - 20 of 22 Posts