Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright me and my friend got a good idea for my old motor when i swap it out. My friend has access to a 60's baja buggy that we were thinking of swap my engine into after its out of my truck i was just seeing if anyone has ever heard of this but we are considering this and if anyone can put there two cents in and help that would help us out alot :peelout

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you are talking about the VW based BD's with fiberglass bodies, they were actually VW Bugs cut and rewelded to remove the rear seat area from the pans{about 17" total}. In the past people have repowered them with Porche engines,Chevy/ford v8's, Corvair flat 6's, Subaru flat 4 turbos, the VR6 Vw watercooled, and even the turbo 4 from Fords. The trick is to use a bus trans and flip the ring gear but then you need an adapter to bolt it up. I don't think you will get a plate to match the bus bell housing. Besides, the weight of the engine alone will have the oil pan dragging the ground because all of that weight will be behind the rear axles. I have seen front mount v-8's in BUgs before but then you are doing a whole tube chassis. At that point the body is just covering. If you are going to go beyond dream stage and you need a buggy body I have one.

G

·
Hillbilly

I woud think about mid engine on that. Rear engine would have you doing wheel stands at idle? That motor, dressed, weighs 900 pounds!

It will probably buckle the frame too. Think real hard about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
taco buggy

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an OLDS Toranado that you could steal the transaxle out of. Adapt the cummins to it and start building the jungle gym around it and you may get a body over it??????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i don't want a body over it but if that frame you have. Can I put the engine in the front or back on your frame? Because the one we have we can put it in the back and were going to put 1/2 ton leaf springs on the rear and front with danas 60's on both and with the front of the engine facing the rear and the trans pointing to the front with the transfer case making it four wheel drive and when in 2 wheel the front will pull and while in 4H or 4L all the wheels will pull but this is still beening drawn up

·
Registered
205 Posts
PM me a pic of the frame you have. I think that your idea of Dune Buggy may be a bit different than mine. A real Dune Buggy wont have leaf springs and certainly wont have Dana 60's.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've never seen a 60's buggy that you could even think of putting a cummins in... must be something different than I'm picturing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
you'd better think about beefing up the frame work. the cummins will twist the thin will tubing easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok we went threw ideas here and throwing some around we're just going to us an smaller truck frame like of an ranger or medium built truck that were can build an cage around. so if anyone knows where an frame is at that could be an huge help

·
Registered
205 Posts
Start with a 2500, cut the frame down to the shortest thing you can use, then section the body to fit whats left. That way you know the fuel, cooling, and driveline systems are compatable. You can stuff it in another truck if you have a torch/welder/plasma cutter... but thats a lot of work.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts