Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, one more of our 4bt's just made me scratch my head and wonder how the 6bt in my half a million mile dodge is still turning...

Back in Jan one of our 4bts ended up chucking a chunk of the thrust bearing. No big deal, had almost 14000hrs on it and its time was due.

So we bought a reman from cummins to replace it since it was not worth rebuilding.

Anyways, to the point of the story...

Got out to the drill today, first time seeing it since it left the shop a couple months ago. And the bloody thing is hammering and knocking like crazy!

Ask a few of the guys how long its been like that, they reply 'since i got here' and our last crew change was a few weeks ago!

Not sure exactly what it is yet. I pinpointed the sound to the top end of #4. not sure if its an injector or something much worse...

cant believe this thing is ready to spill its guts already...

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the truth always comes out in the end...

Its no fault of cummins, one of our idiot drillers ran the thing out of oil!

Apparently the had somehow ripped off the oil line for the gauge during a move (fly job, drill is moved piece by piece with a chopper) and it wasnt noticed. They had fired it up and still didnt notice the oil spraying at the wall @ 80psi!

They ended up running it till it puked out all 14L of oil and started clattering and knocking, at which point they noticed the leak and shut it down....

Sometimes i would really like to kill people...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
So you can save the motor? Hard to believe he didn't notice that much oil spewing out at that pressure.:coocoo

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow...that was a bright guy right there...sheesh

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
drillers huh? fox lake?? are you in IL??? im a driller for local 150

·
Registered
735 Posts
whoops! thats sucks, i hope the motor isnt done for

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drillers huh? fox lake?? are you in IL??? im a driller for local 150

haha, i meant fox lake as in fux sake!

actually, on the way to my last job in the yukon we passed by a lake that was called fox lake, i got a good laugh out of that...

This job is actually near selwyn lake on the saskatchewan/nwt border!

Sadly enough, this engine will probably spill its guts before i can get back in there with a replacement engine. until that time its going to be running flat out 24/7 :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts