Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
wow if they only knew.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
i could not take it, i had to write those people and let them know about the "advancements" that dodge was capable of. [email protected] IDIOTS, Corporate doush-bags need to step out into the real world.

Heres what i wrote those people that posted that article

"Hello,

First off i Love the Dodge/Cummins engine but i can now say that i
feel the EPA has step to far. They have shown with there new requirements
that they do not care about our environment one bit.

I just saw that Cummins/Dodge was given a award on the advancements
of the 6.7l. Obviously nobody in the corporate world has a clue on
what is going on in the real world. I dont want to bash on Dodge and
certainly not on Cummins. But do one of yall own, operate, and drive a
Dodge with a 6.7l in it. Where are these advancements that you speak
about. Is it the trouble some EGR, VGT (Turbo), and or the Exhaust after
treatment system (DPF). Or is it the horrible MPG that the truck gets.
If the technology is so great, why does the 03 to 07 CR 5.9's (gen
3) get better MPG over the 6.7 in the 07.5 and later, why does the 98.5
to 02(gen 2) Dodge/Cummins get better MPG than the Common Rails, and
why does the old 95 to 98 12v (gen 1) cummins get better MPG over the
98.5 to 02. Why is there technology working backwards and yet they get an
award on there advancements. Do yall realize how much trouble that
Dodge is having with the After treatment system on the 6.7. I
bought a Dodge 6.7 one year ago in april. It spent over 40 days in
the shop in three months. After the buy back i got another 6.7 that has
been alright. i dont enjoy the 14mpg that i get all day every day.

Where is the advantage of a truck that gets 14mpg, has a filter that
collects the soot, injects diesel into the exhaust to BURN the soot
out. Where is the sense in that. Also, the engine lube fills with
diesel everytime it goes into regen. so about 3000 miles after a oil change
the lube will rise about 1" to 1 1/2" above the dip stick. Again
where are these advancements. Whats wrong with a diesel truck that gets 20
mpg with just the NOx filter on it. Why does it have to be at the
cost of the consumer to try to make something better that has little to
no effect on the world environment. Its not the private class diesel
pickups destroying the environment.

Do yall know what it cost to fill up a pickup with a 35 gallon
tank,120 to 150 dollars to fill that truck up. Who do you think owns these
pickups. 90% of the people that own them are middle class people. Thats
people that have a house hold income of 50k to 150k. Regardless of
what people think that is who they are intended for and marketed
towards.

Heres a few sites for yall to go read, learn something and pass it on
to somebody that can make a difference on the EPA screw up that is
tied to a great diesel engine. The DPF is not helping the environment at
all, its helping somebody fill there pocket books.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-cummins/
6.7L Engine and Transmissions (2007.5+) - TDR Roundtable
3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
http://www..com/6-7-liter-dodge-cummins/

You will see on these site that people are looking for ways to get the
better MPG that there previous Dodge/Cummins 5.9 use to offer. There
are not many options out there, but they are coming.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I agree. Cummins probably didn't even want to touch the project w/ a ten foot pole.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Reguardless of rants you guys have, the fact is the 6.7 TECHNICALLY makes the cleanest power...has nothing to do with fuel mileage...or...or...or

Fact is fact..they are honored for what the engine does best...

·
5,055 Posts
Plug up a DPF filter and require many dealership visits?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Reguardless of rants you guys have, the fact is the 6.7 TECHNICALLY makes the cleanest power...has nothing to do with fuel mileage...or...or...or

I guess if the engine burns $4000/month worth of fuel due to bad mileage, as long as it's clean, who cares right?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Like any new product, there are bugs that will have to be worked out. They are clearly about there...

Can't blame Cummins for the crap the EPA IS MAKING THEM DO

For the record, I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THE EMISSIONS GARBAGE!!

·
5,055 Posts
Like any new product, there are bugs that will have to be worked out. They are clearly about there...

Can't blame Cummins for the crap the EPA IS MAKING THEM DO

For the record, I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THE EMISSIONS GARBAGE!!
I agree with you just think its a funny situation. Yes it is clean, yes it is doing what it was made to do, yes it is forced by the EPA, but it is also a load of crap.:rof:rof:rof

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts

Dude, its much easier to say that when you have not owned a 6.7 that has given you the trouble or the horrible fuel MPG's. Is it that much cleaner when it needs to burn that much more fuel in order for it to BURN everything that it collects.

Being that you are a 5.9 owner it makes it that much more harder for us 6.7 owners to appreciate your comments on defending that side.

Does not make it any better to see the Smarty in your SIG!!!!

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Dude, its much easier to say that when you have not owned a 6.7 that has given you the trouble or the horrible fuel MPG's. Is it that much cleaner when it needs to burn that much more fuel in order for it to BURN everything that it collects.
No, I don't own a 6.7...but as an engineer I know how sh!tty it is to have retarded a$$ restrictions/requirements on stuff...and the engineers that did the 6.7 don't get the credit they deserve :w:..though, I did speak with the engineers that are building the emissions system for the '10 Powerstroke..and they thought they could have done a better job on the 6.7..so i guess maybe I should shut up...

Blame the EPA :thumbsup

EDIT: wanted to add...I know where you're coming from with the "burning more fuel, relasing more emissions" but the EPA is looking at primarily NOx's...unfortunately, the best way to reduce them is to choke down the engine with a NOx absorber...and I'm not trying to start anything, just want to point things out...

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
No, I don't own a 6.7...but as an engineer I know how sh!tty it is to have retarded a$$ restrictions/requirements on stuff...and the engineers that did the 6.7 don't get the credit they deserve :w:

Blame the EPA :thumbsup
Agreed, but the 6.7 has been around for a while. It was not made for our trucks. If i am not mistaken one of its primary functions was for marine applications. It was meant to be used to hold constant RPM's with a load.

now that is funny, a engineer that works on the PSD telling you that they could have made the CTD a better engine. only thing that Ford PSD engineers have told us that they like to fix what ain't broken. Thats why the CTD has changed very little in comparison over the yrs, dont fix want isnt broken, they also cant fix what is for that matter

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
This looks to be one of those marketing tools for auto dealers to sell vehicles
The DPF seems to be something our government made the industry use to make more profit on fuel. I am a 6.7 owner with 1 year of good service with a DPF but my fuel mpg is nowhere near what I got in my 1995 Suburban 6.5 Diesel which got 23 mpg with ease
Just like this war in the Middle East is all about the oil they have in my opinion.
Another strategic way to hide the truth.

D Deception
P Profit
F Fuel

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The 6.7L diesel engine is the strongest, cleanest, quietest heavy-duty diesel pickup truck engine available on the market and is the first to meet the 2010 EPA emissions regulations in all 50 states. Cummins achieves this by using a NOx Adsorber Catalyst -- a breakthrough technology designed and integrated by Cummins.
I wonder how the BlueTec people feel about that...

BlueTec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually I don't really care how they feel about anything but the statement is interesting.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It just seems like more propaganda to fool the uneducated masses. Pretty sad that you have to burn 50-75% more fuel to make the engine run "cleaner" out the exhaust. This is the part (and a whole lot of other things) that they don't tell you in their fancy report.

I love my new truck except for the poor fuel economy. If I have to modify things for it to perform better and some things have to fall off for that to happen then so be it. I am sure glad that I found this web site! It is great to be able to share information and ideas that we all can benefit from! One way or another I am going to “fix” this thing! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts