Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you what might be the first Cummins with front AND rear Power Wagon lockers.

The front locker is easy enough, lots of people have put them in their AAM 9.25.

The rear Power Wagon locker is another story.
I got mine from a contact from Michigan.

In 2014, the Power Wagons went to a 11.5 rear axle. I had been wondering for years if that diff would fit and sure enough, it does!

The beauty of the Power Wagon AAM 11.5 GTL locker is that it's a helical limited slip with no power applied then a full spool with 12 volts.

It's a truly bolt on affair except for the ABS tone ring, which I had to tack weld to the carrier.

Here are some pics.
Any questions, just ask.
Automotive tire Rim Gear Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Table Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Hood Wood Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive design Peripheral Motor vehicle Fixture Grey

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That’s awesome. Did you reuse your original crown & pinions? Full bearing rebuild & seal kit while you were in there.
What about the power source? 12v 40 amp relay’s & rocker switches.
it’s time to start thinking of upgrading your front driveshaft to handle the extra load. The CV joint is barely capable of surviving with a peg leg open front diff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just threw the ring gear on the Power Wagon carrier with new ring gear bolts. The locker only pulls about 5 amps so 40 amps is way overkill. I just wired it inline with 10 amp fuse through a 20 amp rocker switch.

Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Now for the big question! How much were the lockers? Did you buy new or find some good used ones?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front was brand new, only like 800 new.

The rear was from a guy in Michigan. He did some work for AAM back in the day and they sent him some extra axles that they use to make sure the machines are still within spec.

Only 7 of the axles were from Power Wagons and I got his last one for a lot cheaper than new. ;)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Only 7 were made of the AAM 11.5’s??
A guy could always get away with a tried & true Detroit locker but the e-lock 9.25 would sure be sweet.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
That’s pretty sweet. I knew of the front ones, but hadn’t heard of the rear! Nice that it’s also a helical limited slip and then a spool for the rear. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts