Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2,330 Posts
I’ve put over 200k on more than 1 68RF, my 2011 pulled around 16000lbs. For more than 2/3 of its mileage, here in the Northeast no matter where you go it’s UP HILL BOTH WAYS, my 2018 hit dam near every side road between Connecticut and Surprise AZ. Including crossing through New Mexico into Colorado. With over 200000 pounds dragging behind it.
BOTH WITHOUT any issues.
I drove 1 newer truck with the Aisan trans. And that my friend, is not a very friendly or smooth trans.
200,000lbs thats impressive

· Premium Member
63 Posts
I’ve put over 200k on more than 1 68RF, my 2011 pulled around 16000lbs. For more than 2/3 of its mileage, here in the Northeast no matter where you go it’s UP HILL BOTH WAYS, my 2018 hit dam near every side road between Connecticut and Surprise AZ. Including crossing through New Mexico into Colorado. With over 200000 pounds dragging behind it.
BOTH WITHOUT any issues.
I drove 1 newer truck with the Aisan trans. And that my friend, is not a very friendly or smooth trans.
Thats been the experience i've seen - ironically most of the people i've talked to with Aisin's have had issues most of hte people still using 68rfe - typically go for 200k or so before they start having issues (even with towing heavy loads every single day).
He probably means 20k.

· Registered
2015 Ram 2500, Longhorn Laramie LTD, 6.7L CTD
711 Posts
68RFE, tougher than you think.

Thats been the experience i've seen - ironically most of the people i've talked to with Aisin's have had issues most of hte people still using 68rfe - typically go for 200k or so before they start having issues (even with towing heavy loads every single day).
In 2022 the AISIN is a $2500 option (CAD) over the 68RFE. This is almost half the cost of a built 68RFE. If you got 150,000 mi out of a 68RFE and then replaced it with a built transmission, you're probably further ahead and end up with a better transmission in the end. This isn't even accounting for the additional maintenance cost associated with the AISIN over the 68RFE for those 150,000 miles, or any repairs that might be required on the AISIN in that time frame. For $2500 you can easily buy a new valve body and TCM programming to increase line pressures that will improve the holding power of the 68RFE. IMO, unless you're a commercial hauler, 68RFE all day

Even a built AISIN will have limitations that a built 68RFE will not because you cannot reprogram the AISIN.

Reactions: jwolfe11

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Way to go captain obvious…. Your are new to the forum clearly 😂
Oh yeah only 15 posts buddy (16 after this). I am just giving it the benefit of the doubt - otherwise, we need to let all fleet operators and tractor operators that they are spending too much and need to go buy 2500's to replace their peterbilts/freightliners etc. I talked to a hotshot driver who was trying to tell me that he could do anything a semi can - took everything from me to hold in my explosion of laughter. There are some people out there that feel like with a 5th wheel a 3/4 ton diesel truck will "Do all the work of a semi at a fraction of the cost".

· Premium Member
63 Posts

In 2022 the AISIN is a $2500 option (CAD) over the 68RFE. This is almost half the cost of a built 68RFE. If you got 150,000 mi out of a 68RFE and then replaced it with a built transmission, you're probably further ahead and end up with a better transmission in the end. This isn't even accounting for the additional maintenance cost associated with the AISIN over the 68RFE for those 150,000 miles, or any repairs that might be required on the AISIN in that time frame. For $2500 you can easily buy a new valve body and TCM programming to increase line pressures that will improve the holding power of the 68RFE. IMO, unless you're a commercial hauler, 68RFE all day

Even a built AISIN will have limitations that a built 68RFE will not because you cannot reprogram the AISIN.
The other factor for me (which is absolutely true) is that you have to get the HO engine - which is less economical than the SO engine.

· Registered
2,330 Posts

You also get more HP and 225ft lbs of tq more because of the HO so that 2500$ is a good trade if you need the extra grunt

· Registered
2,330 Posts
More power is always nice - but the trade off is its less economical.
Meh you cant take your money with you when you die… besides i have an 01 3500 HO and my 19 2500 SO. When it comes to fuel milage the 2500 is way better but i guarantee a new HO will be much better in fuel than the 01 with 4.10 gears it gets on avg 11-13 mpg lol i could get atleast 16 on a new HO with 4.10s

41 - 52 of 52 Posts