Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cummins/68RFE Reliability - how many miles?

3773 Views 51 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  jwolfe11
Thinking of buying a 2019 2500 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins 68RFE and 82k miles. I keep hearing the trans is the weak link on these trucks - is that true? How many miles are folks getting before having issues?

Are there any other common issues on the newer 6.7 Cummins? I haven't had a Cummins since my dad's 1994 24-valve model from way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d be more concerned about the CP4 recall work being done instead of the transmission. You can get tuning for the trans, and do some simple valve body upgrades and it’s a decent transmission. Or just keep your foot out of it 😂
I drive really easy. If the trans will hold up for 200k without being hard on it, then it will be fine for me. I drive way more for mpg than for speed. I'm the guy who deletes for reliability and tunes for stock hp and torque.

I called the local RAM dealer with the VIN. Recall has not been done and they would put me on a list to get it done when the pump gets in. My understanding is they're replacing with the CP3?

This is a hauler only for me. Don't need it for a daily driver. Will be used to go to home depot a dozen times a year and haul an 8k travel trailer 3-4 times a year. Maybe my small bass boat. The TT is just barely too much for a half ton.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it. Thanks all!

Are there any other weak points in the engine? GM L5P that I currently have has injector connector pigtails and NOX sensors, which will leave you stranded somewhere. Anything like that on the 6.7 Cummins that's common? I know anything can fail, but very few L5P motors make it to 150k without some injector issues or NOX sensor issues. I'd like something that's less prone to leave me looking for a dealer in the middle of nowhere.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're all garbage and they all have flaws. There is no perfect solution.
Long term reliability comes down to diligent maintenance and ownership, not the name on the door (unless it's Toyota).
Find the truck with the lowest miles and most documented maintenance.
Well there's nothing maintenance can do on the Silverado L5P to prevent NOX sensor failure or injector pigtail connector failure. I'm just trying to see what the weak points are on the Cummins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts