Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,330 Posts
There was no 24V in 94….

you will be plenty fine with that truck and the 68rfe has not been a problem for a few years it had a few changes for 2019 and it has been pretty strong. I tow heavy and drive my 19 hard and have no issues at all

· Registered
2,330 Posts
It gets a bad rap because people add a 200HP tune and then drive like a 16 year old at a drag strip.... then complain all over the web what a piece of junk it is when it doesn't hold up to that. That's the true story...

Basically, its spec’d at 550HP so yea anything over 120hp tune is to much for a stock trans

· Registered
2,330 Posts
FYI if you get it and the pump goes out it will sit until such time they get a workaround figured out for the 2019 trucks that have had other recall updates done....
simply not true they will do the swap right away my dealer and ram also said its a week turn around even with a 2019 with all the recalls done. They just did my friends truck

· Registered
2,330 Posts
No issues with the 48RFE in a 2019. I only have 52K and tow often but mostly light tows.

Always surprised at so many stating their dealer will not change the CP4 pump out on the recall. My dealer ordered and did my change with no issues and no drama ordering or making PCM software changes.
Well they would have to fight to get paid since FCA is the one who has the hold on the 19s due to software issues

You have a 68RFE there is no such thing as a 48RFE that was only a 48RE and was only used from 03-07

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Oops --- simple typing mistake with arthritis. 68...

As for the dealer getting paid, never heard of that as an issue. before its was done Stellantis approved the order and the change. They provided the PCM software change.
Every dealer i talked to said the inly reason they wont go ahead is because as it stands they cant get paid when it says remedy not available even though they can do mine without the flash due to my tuning on the truck

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Like the "blind man and the elephant", I only know what my dealer says. I buy from Firkins and get work done there. Never drove around to other dealers for different opinions.

You must have tried multiple places. Quite an effort. Maybe the next one will do you right.
We have 3 local dealers none of which i bought from as i was able to save 10k and no ordering from a dealer 5hrs away… its no effort to pick up the phone and have a discussion on the phone my biggest hurdle was getting a dealer to do it on my deleted truck without fighting me as one local dealer will do when the fix is approved by FCA so they can get paid after completing the job

· Registered
2,330 Posts
I’ve put over 200k on more than 1 68RF, my 2011 pulled around 16000lbs. For more than 2/3 of its mileage, here in the Northeast no matter where you go it’s UP HILL BOTH WAYS, my 2018 hit dam near every side road between Connecticut and Surprise AZ. Including crossing through New Mexico into Colorado. With over 200000 pounds dragging behind it.
BOTH WITHOUT any issues.
I drove 1 newer truck with the Aisan trans. And that my friend, is not a very friendly or smooth trans.
200,000lbs thats impressive

· Registered
2,330 Posts
68RFE, tougher than you think.

In 2022 the AISIN is a $2500 option (CAD) over the 68RFE. This is almost half the cost of a built 68RFE. If you got 150,000 mi out of a 68RFE and then replaced it with a built transmission, you're probably further ahead and end up with a better transmission in the end. This isn't even accounting for the additional maintenance cost associated with the AISIN over the 68RFE for those 150,000 miles, or any repairs that might be required on the AISIN in that time frame. For $2500 you can easily buy a new valve body and TCM programming to increase line pressures that will improve the holding power of the 68RFE. IMO, unless you're a commercial hauler, 68RFE all day

Even a built AISIN will have limitations that a built 68RFE will not because you cannot reprogram the AISIN.
You also get more HP and 225ft lbs of tq more because of the HO so that 2500$ is a good trade if you need the extra grunt

· Registered
2,330 Posts
More power is always nice - but the trade off is its less economical.
Meh you cant take your money with you when you die… besides i have an 01 3500 HO and my 19 2500 SO. When it comes to fuel milage the 2500 is way better but i guarantee a new HO will be much better in fuel than the 01 with 4.10 gears it gets on avg 11-13 mpg lol i could get atleast 16 on a new HO with 4.10s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts