Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cummins/68RFE Reliability - how many miles?

3795 Views 51 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  jwolfe11
Thinking of buying a 2019 2500 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins 68RFE and 82k miles. I keep hearing the trans is the weak link on these trucks - is that true? How many miles are folks getting before having issues?

Are there any other common issues on the newer 6.7 Cummins? I haven't had a Cummins since my dad's 1994 24-valve model from way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
28,330 Posts
It gets a bad rap because people add a 200HP tune and then drive like a 16 year old at a drag strip.... then complain all over the web what a piece of junk it is when it doesn't hold up to that. That's the true story...

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

The 68 is a PERFECTLY fine transmission that more often than not provides a long reliable service life.

Is it perfect? No. The valvebody would be the biggest source of “issue” and that’s easy enough to remedy for not much over a grand. It can have the potential to bleed pressure but it’s known how to take care of it.

Like said, the CP4 is the greatest source of potential issue and even that is overblown. I would try to knock off about 3k for the pump and just replace myself, but that’s me.

· Banned
28,330 Posts
It does CP4 is a known failure point, why Cummins chose to use it will always be a mystery to me.

Duramax ran one from roughly 2011 to 15 then ditched Bosch altogether for Delphi and that’s what they run to this day.

Ford used CP4 from 2011 to now. But they like to pretend it’s not an issue. Go figure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts