Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2015 Ram 2500, Longhorn Laramie LTD, 6.7L CTD
711 Posts
That and, pick the truck you like the best out of the big three that meets this criteria. They're all equally as good and shitty as each other but you'll be picking and choosing what problem you want to deal with. If you do your own maintenance then the RAM platform is hard to beat compared to a Powerstroke/Duramax. The Cummins engine itself of any year RAM has always been highly regarded as being dependable, some years more than others.

Really for the 5th gen RAM the only issue you're potentially looking at is a CP4 pump failure which is currently recalled anyway so chances are it'll be replaced under warranty and replaced with a CP3. The later 68RFE's are a league above the 68RFE Pre-2019 models I've been told as well.

Otherwise all of the trucks have more or less identical emissions control systems so no matter what brand you go with. Seems to be a function between how you use the truck and luck as to how long they will last.

· Registered
2015 Ram 2500, Longhorn Laramie LTD, 6.7L CTD
711 Posts
200,000lbs thats impressive
68RFE, tougher than you think.

Thats been the experience i've seen - ironically most of the people i've talked to with Aisin's have had issues most of hte people still using 68rfe - typically go for 200k or so before they start having issues (even with towing heavy loads every single day).
In 2022 the AISIN is a $2500 option (CAD) over the 68RFE. This is almost half the cost of a built 68RFE. If you got 150,000 mi out of a 68RFE and then replaced it with a built transmission, you're probably further ahead and end up with a better transmission in the end. This isn't even accounting for the additional maintenance cost associated with the AISIN over the 68RFE for those 150,000 miles, or any repairs that might be required on the AISIN in that time frame. For $2500 you can easily buy a new valve body and TCM programming to increase line pressures that will improve the holding power of the 68RFE. IMO, unless you're a commercial hauler, 68RFE all day

Even a built AISIN will have limitations that a built 68RFE will not because you cannot reprogram the AISIN.

Reactions: jwolfe11
1 - 2 of 2 Posts