Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a 2019 2500 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins 68RFE and 82k miles. I keep hearing the trans is the weak link on these trucks - is that true? How many miles are folks getting before having issues?

Are there any other common issues on the newer 6.7 Cummins? I haven't had a Cummins since my dad's 1994 24-valve model from way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
2022 Dodge 2500 CC Bighorn CTD
249 Posts
Thinking of buying a 2019 2500 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins 68RFE and 82k miles. I keep hearing the trans is the weak link on these trucks - is that true? How many miles are folks getting before having issues?

Are there any other common issues on the newer 6.7 Cummins? I haven't had a Cummins since my dad's 1994 24-valve model from way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!
Make sure they have replaced the CP4. HPFP they have issued a recall for this pump, if it has not been replaced get a big discount so you can have an after market one installed, at this time its hit an miss if it will get replaced under the recall by the the 3rd Qtr of 2023...

· Premium Member
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD SLT
365 Posts
I’d be more concerned about the CP4 recall work being done instead of the transmission. You can get tuning for the trans, and do some simple valve body upgrades and it’s a decent transmission. Or just keep your foot out of it 😂

Reactions: Dblr2

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d be more concerned about the CP4 recall work being done instead of the transmission. You can get tuning for the trans, and do some simple valve body upgrades and it’s a decent transmission. Or just keep your foot out of it 😂
I drive really easy. If the trans will hold up for 200k without being hard on it, then it will be fine for me. I drive way more for mpg than for speed. I'm the guy who deletes for reliability and tunes for stock hp and torque.

I called the local RAM dealer with the VIN. Recall has not been done and they would put me on a list to get it done when the pump gets in. My understanding is they're replacing with the CP3?

This is a hauler only for me. Don't need it for a daily driver. Will be used to go to home depot a dozen times a year and haul an 8k travel trailer 3-4 times a year. Maybe my small bass boat. The TT is just barely too much for a half ton.

· Registered
2,726 Posts
I keep hearing the trans is the weak link on these trucks - is that true?

It gets a bad rap because people add a 200HP tune and then drive like a 16 year old at a drag strip.... then complain all over the web what a piece of junk it is when it doesn't hold up to that. That's the true story...

· Registered
2,060 Posts
There was no 24V in 94….

you will be plenty fine with that truck and the 68rfe has not been a problem for a few years it had a few changes for 2019 and it has been pretty strong. I tow heavy and drive my 19 hard and have no issues at all

· Registered
2,060 Posts
It gets a bad rap because people add a 200HP tune and then drive like a 16 year old at a drag strip.... then complain all over the web what a piece of junk it is when it doesn't hold up to that. That's the true story...

Basically, its spec’d at 550HP so yea anything over 120hp tune is to much for a stock trans

· Banned
28,256 Posts

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

The 68 is a PERFECTLY fine transmission that more often than not provides a long reliable service life.

Is it perfect? No. The valvebody would be the biggest source of “issue” and that’s easy enough to remedy for not much over a grand. It can have the potential to bleed pressure but it’s known how to take care of it.

Like said, the CP4 is the greatest source of potential issue and even that is overblown. I would try to knock off about 3k for the pump and just replace myself, but that’s me.

· Banned
28,256 Posts
It does CP4 is a known failure point, why Cummins chose to use it will always be a mystery to me.

Duramax ran one from roughly 2011 to 15 then ditched Bosch altogether for Delphi and that’s what they run to this day.

Ford used CP4 from 2011 to now. But they like to pretend it’s not an issue. Go figure.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it. Thanks all!

Are there any other weak points in the engine? GM L5P that I currently have has injector connector pigtails and NOX sensors, which will leave you stranded somewhere. Anything like that on the 6.7 Cummins that's common? I know anything can fail, but very few L5P motors make it to 150k without some injector issues or NOX sensor issues. I'd like something that's less prone to leave me looking for a dealer in the middle of nowhere.

· Registered
1,371 Posts
Got it. Thanks all!

Are there any other weak points in the engine? GM L5P that I currently have has injector connector pigtails and NOX sensors, which will leave you stranded somewhere. Anything like that on the 6.7 Cummins that's common? I know anything can fail, but very few L5P motors make it to 150k without some injector issues or NOX sensor issues. I'd like something that's less prone to leave me looking for a dealer in the middle of nowhere.
They're all garbage and they all have flaws. There is no perfect solution.
Long term reliability comes down to diligent maintenance and ownership, not the name on the door (unless it's Toyota).
Find the truck with the lowest miles and most documented maintenance.

Reactions: rickk33 and kelaog

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They're all garbage and they all have flaws. There is no perfect solution.
Long term reliability comes down to diligent maintenance and ownership, not the name on the door (unless it's Toyota).
Find the truck with the lowest miles and most documented maintenance.
Well there's nothing maintenance can do on the Silverado L5P to prevent NOX sensor failure or injector pigtail connector failure. I'm just trying to see what the weak points are on the Cummins

· Registered
235 Posts
This is a great forum @patriot23 and with proper care and maintenance you'll find guys like @gsbrockman who ran his 2018 4500 for more than 450k miles and is likely well over 30,000 miles on his 2022 5500 right now. Not the same transmission, I get it, but it's worth referencing in my mind. My 2011 made it 240k before needing transmission repairs. It was ran stock for its 234k miles.

· Registered
2015 Ram 2500, Longhorn Laramie LTD, 6.7L CTD
617 Posts
That and, pick the truck you like the best out of the big three that meets this criteria. They're all equally as good and shitty as each other but you'll be picking and choosing what problem you want to deal with. If you do your own maintenance then the RAM platform is hard to beat compared to a Powerstroke/Duramax. The Cummins engine itself of any year RAM has always been highly regarded as being dependable, some years more than others.

Really for the 5th gen RAM the only issue you're potentially looking at is a CP4 pump failure which is currently recalled anyway so chances are it'll be replaced under warranty and replaced with a CP3. The later 68RFE's are a league above the 68RFE Pre-2019 models I've been told as well.

Otherwise all of the trucks have more or less identical emissions control systems so no matter what brand you go with. Seems to be a function between how you use the truck and luck as to how long they will last.

· Registered
2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4WD SWB 6.7 Cummins EFI Live 5 Stage Deleted
9 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Can't speak on the 2019, but I have a 2013 right at 194,000 miles and just now having issues with mine. Afraid it's not going to be a cheap fix, but it does have almost 200k on a truck that pulls a trailer constantly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts