Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just reassembling a 5.9 cummins for the first time.

The 2 problems i'm having are:

1. The rebuild kit came with (12) piston cooling nozzles, (6) long ones, and (6) short.
QUESTION IS,
ARE ALL 12 USED, OR ONLY 6?

2. Placed the upper Bearing half into the block, and the oil holes in the block and the holes in the bearing do not completely line up.
QUESTION IS, ARE THEY NOT SUPPOSED TO LINE UP COMPLETELY?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Cummins uses 2 types of oil jets:

Saddle jet - For front geartrain engines. Located in the main bearing saddle on the block side, oil supplied from main bearing

J-Jet - For rear geartrain engines. located between main bearing saddles ont he exhaust side of engine, oil supplied from oil gallery.

So the long and short of it, you need to use the saddle jets. left hand side of this pic.

As for the main bearings, i would give cummins a quick call. On one hand i would say that something is wrong, but on the other i would say they did that on purpose to raise the oil pressure in the cooling nozzle

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have 1997 dodge cummins all the main bearing are lineing up but num 6 main ant lineing up right i bout a cummins rebuilt kit on ebay clevite bearing but num 6 thrust main bearing ant lineing up right has anybody had this problem and what i need to do thank you for yalls help the main bearing are clevite bearing ms-1717-p

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
only problem i have ever had with the main/thrust bearing has been a 4bt that chewed it up and spit it out. no problems installing them

What exactly isnt 'lining up'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
thrust main bearing in the block the old main bearing fits right but i trying to put new main bearing in all of them works but num 6 main bearing which is the thrust main bearing its not sitting right in the block i just dont no if i have the right bearing its like the saddle on the bearing is a little bigger on the new one

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
the part number for the bearing kit is right, but that doesnt mean that they couldnt have f'd up the thrust bearing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
the thrust main bearing did not work clevite? went to cummins they had the right 1 put it in and it work just right. but thanks for your help.... if you ever fine out why the clevite thrust main bearing didnt work let me no.. thanks .........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts