Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I need some general info. I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab, 4X4 with 5.9L Cummins, auto transmission.

Heres my question. This truck has a CSP5 switch. I have no the least idea what is on there. I’ve called some shops who do EFI live tunes but they can’t help me. I purchased at a dealer, and the dealer was unable to get any info from the former owner. What are the most common tunes for these 5.9’s? I tried clicking over the switch to feel for a change. I can say on the 5th position I can feel a bit more power. I also see heavy plumes of black smoke under acceleration when on the 5th position. On the first setting I imagine it’s “stock” power. What could the second, third, and fourth be? Is 5th max power?
Nothing else on engine or transmission has been upgraded, this truck has been well taken care of and is pretty close to stock. Help!!!?

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
Did you get the autocal from the previous owner? If not you have 2 options. Run the tunes that are currently in the truck, or flash it back to stock and buy a autocal with another company and get new efi live tunes from another tuner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the autocal from the previous owner? If not you have 2 options. Run the tunes that are currently in the truck, or flash it back to stock and buy a autocal with another company and get new efi live tunes from another tuner.
No I did not get anything other than the installed switch. The truck seems to respond to the switch changes. I’d rather just keep what it has at the moment. I know I can keep it re-tune, the help I’m asking for is a good guess what tune options are on each switch settings. What is most common for a daily driver?

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
My Anarchy is stock,30,60,90 and 130 hp. It is a level 1 tune.
I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it. I run the 130 hp tune but use it sparingly.
Concerning the smoke,set on stock,warm it up thoroughly and find a deserted section of roadway. Do a half dozen near full throttle runs and it'll burn up soot that's probably settled in the cat. By the fifth run it should clear up. A Cummins tech I know did that in the dealership for complaints of excessive smoke when everything else checked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Anarchy is stock,30,60,90 and 130 hp. It is a level 1 tune.
I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it. I run the 130 hp tune but use it sparingly.
Concerning the smoke,set on stock,warm it up thoroughly and find a deserted section of roadway. Do a half dozen near full throttle runs and it'll burn up soot that's probably settled in the cat. By the fifth run it should clear up. A Cummins tech I know did that in the dealership for complaints of excessive smoke when everything else checked out.
Thanks man. This gets me closer to getting comfortable with “turning the switch on”. I feel like the first level on mine is an optimized stock. I wonder if the second is a tow mode, and the third a fuel economy. My guess on the third would be confirmed by taking it on a highway like you said. I feel like a fuel economy tune would shift gears at lower RPM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the time it goes optimized stock, fuel economy, tow, street, and "max effort".
Dude thanks for clearing this up. Optimized stock I know gives me the ability to idle up the engine for morning warm ups by using the cruise switch. I don’t believe this was a OEM option. That when the switch is on “1”. Fuel economy must be more HP and quicker shifts.
So I have a question on a tow tune. Does setting my tune on “tow” and simultaneously setting the “tow/haul” button on the shift lever create redundancy? Or is the tow tune designed to work with the tow haul button?

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Most of the time it goes optimized stock, fuel economy, tow, street, and "max effort".
I wish any setting delivered better fuel economy for me but it's pretty mediocre on all five. Stockish is pitiful. 3,4 and five are fun.

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
No the tow tune is just a different power level tune. It’s just a name and doesn’t have anything to do with the transmission. Factory ecm software can allow for high idle operation with cruise, my truck did it before efi live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish any setting delivered better fuel economy for me but it's pretty mediocre on all five. Stockish is pitiful. 3,4 and five are fun.
3,4,5 leave a strange smell in my engine area. Like something is getting very hot. Most likely exhaust smell. I looked at my coolant temp and it looked a good when I smell it, also check the trans fluid for a burning smell or discoloration but it seems to be just around the exhaust area. Maybe unburnt fuel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No the tow tune is just a different power level tune. It’s just a name and doesn’t have anything to do with the transmission. Factory ecm software can allow for high idle operation with cruise, my truck did it before efi live.
Well I tried running it at regular acceleration and WOT and noted the shift points to determine a change but I can’t distinguish much. In the third setting the transmission holds 3rd gear the longest so I imagine that may be a tow tune?

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
The tow/haul function changes shift points for 3rd and 4th and locks the torque converter in 3rd. It’s not a tow tune per the switch of efi live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tow/haul function changes shift points for 3rd and 4th and locks the torque converter in 3rd. It’s not a tow tune per the switch of efi live.
You mean the tow/haul on the transmission lever is what changes 3rd and 4th and locks the converter, correct?
I’d like to understand what tune changes are made for a “tow” setting.

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
Yes that is correct. Each tuner will make and set different parameters differently for different tunes. It’s mainly timing, duration, and boost, to be factored in and balanced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts