Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 6.7L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So I just bought a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L. It has a CSP5 tuning switch from Fish Tuning. Truck is physically deleted and runs great. But I noticed there doesn't seem to be a difference between the switch positions as far as performance wise. This was a 1-owner truck prior to me. So how can I tell if they tuned it or not? I'm trying to figure this out in the most cost effective way and trying to avoid buying a tuner for it. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If it's missing parts it has to be tuned. And don't expect a "oh wow" moment when switching between tune modes. Most of the HP you will see on paper will be at the top end so you won't necessarily feel it in day to day driving, but that depends on how you drive I guess. Just be warned, running the upper HP settings will send your transmission to an early grave.

FYI: Careful where you go with this thread, asking about where to get tuning etc. will get it shut down

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's all I knew from the get-go. I figured since it hasn't thrown codes since I bought it, it should be good. I usually keep it on 1 99.9999% of the time. And thank you for the warning.

3,545 Posts
If your truck is deleted and you don't have a programmer for it, you are totally exposed if the ECM fails or someone programs the ECM to stock.

Reactions: kris_hunter23

·
Registered
98 Posts
Find yourself a reliable diesel shop who can re-flash the ECM as required - then stick with them!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I can tell the difference in my tunes a LOT faster if I'm towing. Do you have gauges. You can also see the difference in smoke, boost, egt, etc. Hopefully your tunes aren't too crazy and they are useful cuz it's a PITA, expensive and hard to start over, these days. Drive it right and don't put too much on the trans... the shift buttons are helpful.
Oh yeah, I do timed runs to compare my tunes and sometimes the additional egt and smoke aren't worth the tiny gains from the higher tunes. The EPA doesn't need more ammo!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your truck is deleted and you don't have a programmer for it, you are totally exposed if the ECM fails or someone programs the ECM to stock.
Well I guess if no one ever gets a chance to flash it, I won't have a problem lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell the difference in my tunes a LOT faster if I'm towing. Do you have gauges. You can also see the difference in smoke, boost, egt, etc. Hopefully your tunes aren't too crazy and they are useful cuz it's a PITA, expensive and hard to start over, these days. Drive it right and don't put too much on the trans... the shift buttons are helpful.
Oh yeah, I do timed runs to compare my tunes and sometimes the additional egt and smoke aren't worth the tiny gains from the higher tunes. The EPA doesn't need more ammo!
The previous owner hauled a lot. So I'm assuming it's nothing crazy. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My experience with 5 different tunes (CSP5) has been... #4 and #5, no matter who wrote the tunes, have been too hot, smoky and very little gain. And #1 and #2 are lower power but NOT necessarily the best for towing. FWIW, my best towing tune, by a long shot is #3, bcuz of the way I tuned it. It's also hard to tell which is best for towing w/o gauges. I forgot to mention ^^^ to avoid tunes if they cause timing rattle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My experience with 5 different tunes (CSP5) has been... #4 and #5, no matter who wrote the tunes, have been too hot, smoky and very little gain. And #1 and #2 are lower power but NOT necessarily the best for towing. FWIW, my best towing tune, by a long shot is #3, bcuz of the way I tuned it. It's also hard to tell which is best for towing w/o gauges. I forgot to mention ^^^ to avoid tunes if they cause timing rattle.
I don't tow, but I'm happy with how the truck runs at 182k miles. I guess I got lucky that the previous owner was meticulous about the maintenance. I think mine is just tuned since it's deleted. LOL.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That's a huge plus!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 2018 has a CM2350B controller. The CSP5 requires a custom OS to use the different positions. It sounds like someone flashed a stock OS with the necessary changes for your engine "configuration". You need to be flashed with the custom OS again. I wish you the best of luck finding a tuner. They are around, but won't be advertising their services.

As far as the position goes, I can make any number any tune I like. My #3 I use for testing changes. #1 is stock. I really only use 3 of them. I have one tune I built for towing, one is my street/race tune, and the last one is my experimental tune for testing changes (then gets moved to either tow or race once I am happy with the testing).

-Muzzy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey everyone! So I just bought a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L. It has a CSP5 tuning switch from Fish Tuning. Truck is physically deleted and runs great. But I noticed there doesn't seem to be a difference between the switch positions as far as performance wise. This was a 1-owner truck prior to me. So how can I tell if they tuned it or not? I'm trying to figure this out in the most cost effective way and trying to avoid buying a tuner for it. Any advice is appreciated!
I would be most CONSERNED if the truck comes with the CP4 injection pump. If yes, I would not buy it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I would be most CONSERNED if the truck comes with the CP4 injection pump. If yes, I would not buy it!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure he already purchased it and 2018 trucks do not have a CP4......

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
@kris_hunter23 If you want to check if it is possibly working or switching tunes when you rotate the knob you can....try to remove the switch to a open location like your floorboard or on your dash just temporarily, but leave it plugged in as normal, and start your truck. Sitting there at park, if you rotate the knob on the CSP5, there should (keyword - SHOULD) be a LED light on one side or the other of the motherboard that the knob is physically connected to that will quickly flash accordingly to which position you click it to.

Example 2 flashes = position/tune #2, 5 flashes = position/tune #5, etc.

That is the way mine works, there could be different styles out there, I am not totally sure, but I figured I would share my experience. It will help you know IF it's working and IF it is switching tunes at all. My LED light on my CSP5 board is a blue one, and they do flash fairly quick but when you notice it, you will know what's going on.

Reactions: bcflyfisher

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
^^^ I noticed that red led a couple of weeks ago. I was into the dash, replacing my ITBC, and I had the csp5 sw hanging out and it was unplugged. I plugged the obd2 plugs in and I saw it flash... even with the key off, for some reason. That TINY led is in the middle of the board on mine and I never noticed it before. I don't have an LED anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
@BFD If the truck was off, and you had an already unplugged CSP5...and then with the truck still off you plugged the CSP5 back into the OBD port and it flashed when it was re-connected...I THINKKK that was just maybe like a "connection registered" type of flash possibly, but that should be the same LED that should flash according to switch position.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Let's use my truck for example.
It has no tuner, it was programed by a place and first was a csp 5 switch with #5 blocked off. The switch was faulty from new, so it did nothing till was replaced.
Second tune after ditching the vgt turbo. Same thing, no tuner, tunes loaded right to computer and now have 5 settings. No tuner.
To tell if the switch is good.
Key on, move switch, it should blink 1 for #1 and so on 5 for #5.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry, it will blink a small LED on the back if said switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts