Cummins Diesel Forum banner

crummy dodge brakes

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Jeff@XDP 
#1 ·
does any one have info on why 96' dodge trucks 3500 series have sh... brakes on them .does any one have the skinny how to fix them or do i just keep buying rotors and pads(390 $ a pop) or should i invest in brembo and go broke.any help out there:$:

#2 ·
your going to want to invest in some quality disks and rotors and lose the drums in the back..that will help your braking..also..if you keep some weight in the back it will more evenly distribute the braking force

#3 ·
yea i agree u cant go wrong with better brakes and of course disks in the back. however i never paid that much for pads and rotors. i got mine from napa and each rotor was liek 60 and the pads were 60 or so

#4 ·
So...who makes a rear disc conversion? I'd love to do it just to make brake changes easier.
Thanks,
-R.J.

#7 ·
would anybody be interested in a rear brake conversion kit, upgraded front rotors and pads and high temp brake fluid if we were to carry it?

i was just looking at some stuff this morning and didn't wanna pitch it to the boss if i didn't know if anybody would be in.

#8 ·
Try replacing the rear wheel cylinders with GMC 1 ton cylinders (Napa #4637337) first and see if your impression of stopping power changes. I guarantee it will. For $12 each and an hour of your time it's one of the best modifications going. Don't tell the Napa guys what the part is or what it's going on or you will confuse them. Just a part number is enough.

Switching from the stock 27mm to a 30mm cylinder increases applied force area from 572.55mm^2 to 706.85mm^2.

That's over a 23% increase!

I use Brembo rotors exclusively, their price from Tire Rack is about the same as junk Chinese ones from most autoparts stores.

#10 ·
What rotors do you recommend for the rear? I replaced the fronts with Brembo on your recommendation and they are working out great! However I have not seen any reference to Brembo for the rear.

#17 ·
you might want to look into an exhuast brake.....i just talked to a guy last night who uses his truck to haul a 30 foot camper has 130,000 miles on it. when he bought it, he put an exhuast brake on right away and he says he's still on his factory brake pads, with a lot of bakes left on them. you would just have to pay the money up front to get an exhaust brake though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.