Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for a buddy with a new 2020 Cummins. Is there a speed limit the cruise control maxes out at? It looks like he’s experiencing cruise control not letting him go higher than 85. Personally that sounds a little nuts to me but I guess where he is that’s pretty normal.

Does anybody know if Alfa ODB would be able to adjust or disable that feature if so?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone see if alphaOBD can adjust the limit?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,335 Posts
some people have had luck. I've tried it multiple times to no avail. I've done numerous other changes with alpha, and no issues. not sure why max cruise and max speed changes don't hold.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Asking for a buddy with a new 2020 Cummins. Is there a speed limit the cruise control maxes out at? It looks like he’s experiencing cruise control not letting him go higher than 85. Personally that sounds a little nuts to me but I guess where he is that’s pretty normal.

Does anybody know if Alfa ODB would be able to adjust or disable that feature if so?
AlfaOBD can’t do it because it’s part of the engine tune file. If you set it at 85, you can increase it using the + button.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I’ll be going back to my lowly 3rd gen 6.7 section :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes AlfaObd can change the top speed of the cruise control on both 2019 and 2020 trucks . It's part of the BCM not the ECU . AlfaObd's latest update 20.18 has changed some of the names and options . I've changed mine on my 2019 and for a friends 2020 . The truck from the factory is 85mph the AlfaObd will change it to 220km (136MPH) . We have a toll road which I'm on in texas Toll Road 130 and the speed limit is 85mph and I like to be able to get my cruise around 90 to 92 mph .

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Yes AlfaObd can change the top speed of the cruise control on both 2019 and 2020 trucks . It's part of the BCM not the ECU . AlfaObd's latest update 20.18 has changed some of the names and options . I've changed mine on my 2019 and for a friends 2020 . The truck from the factory is 85mph the AlfaObd will change it to 220km (136MPH) . We have a toll road which I'm on in texas Toll Road 130 and the speed limit is 85mph and I like to be able to get my cruise around 90 to 92 mph .
This is where it usually ends with how to do this. Every time someone says they’ve done it, they don’t explain what settings they changed and never answer back. I’ve seen the speed setting, and changing it to 220 and it’s never done anything. Same with anybody else that’s tried. So, what settings did you change?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Give me a chance to look at it they changed some stuff with the 21.80 update and I will get back with you and let you know .

Reactions: Jimmy07

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,335 Posts
in for the steps to make it happen. I run the same stretch of tx130 and the main reason I want it changed.

·
US ARMY Retired
880 Posts

This is what I have found...no AflaOBD required...if you set the cruise above 85 it won't set. If you set it at 84 MPH and then go up by one mile an hour increments (pushing the acc button) one push at a time....you can go as high as you want. I can neither confirm or deny that I have done this.....;)....but it does work.

EDIT: My truck is limited to 106MPH top speed....due to the tires I believe.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok I'm gonna eat crow on this one LOL , The changes I made were the max speed of trucks I changed were the 19'&20' . I contacted Alexxi , the cruise control max speed setting is located in the ECM like Jimmy07 mentioned. But the ECM for the 2019 trucks will be out in a few weeks is what I was told and the changes will be and can be made to the cruise control in that part of the ECU . I guess my assumption that the cruise control max speed was changed thru the Alfa Obd is I was setting it up like with the + arrows on the steering wheel which does work . I apologize to Jimmy07 if I sounded liked I was calling you out . I'm ready for my lashings LOL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Ok I'm gonna eat crow on this one LOL , The changes I made were the max speed of trucks I changed were the 19'&20' . I contacted Alexxi , the cruise control max speed setting is located in the ECM like Jimmy07 mentioned. But the ECM for the 2019 trucks will be out in a few weeks is what I was told and the changes will be and can be made to the cruise control in that part of the ECU . I guess my assumption that the cruise control max speed was changed thru the Alfa Obd is I was setting it up like with the + arrows on the steering wheel which does work . I apologize to Jimmy07 if I sounded liked I was calling you out . I'm ready for my lashings LOL.
LOL, no lashings for you. I’m glad you reported back to clarify. Every time I see someone claim they changed it, they never explain, or respond to follow up questions. I am definitely curious to see if he can make anything stick in the PCM and last more than one drive cycle after the change.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,335 Posts
yah, appreciate you following up. like Jimmy, I see posts that say they've changed, then I feel like a crazy person for it not taking the change on my truck lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting thread. An old-school 2000 model reply, just for interest. My 2nd gen truck, cannot be set at speeds above 85 mph. But I can set it at 85 or lower. If lower, I can use the + button to increase it to 85 mph (on the speedo). And pushing the + button an unlimited amount of times never increases the set speed above 85 mph. No problem in GA. Running 92 mph in Texas sounds like something I would like to experience. However, I wouldn't care to pay the fuel bill. Mine would be getting close to 10 mpg at that speed I'm guessing. But it would do it effortlessly, with pedal to spare.

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,335 Posts
I think I've tried the "set to 84 and increase speed" trick and it didn't work. headed out to the farm this wknd and will try it again to confirm.

·
US ARMY Retired
880 Posts
My 2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk....if you hold the accel button down it goes up in 5MPH increments...then each push its 1 MPH increments. My wifes 2018 Outback is just the opposite...each single push it goes up 5MPH then if you hold it it goes up 1MPH at a time....I haven't tried the 2019 Ram 3500 yet its in storage right now....I only found out on the Trailhawk by accident how it works.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea my uncle (not the friend I was asking for) has a 2020 4500 C&C. He confirmed his CC doesn't work past 85, even when he uses the + button it won't go faster.

·
US ARMY Retired
880 Posts
Yea my uncle (not the friend I was asking for) has a 2020 4500 C&C. He confirmed his CC doesn't work past 85, even when he uses the + button it won't go faster.
I think the CC are limited to the speed of 85MPH....thus keeping the cruise control from a higher speed.....I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its lower than the pickups that are rated at 106MPH due to tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2020 limited will advance At least 10mph past 85mph while on cruise.

Reactions: Cummins0867
1 - 20 of 20 Posts