Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have the vaccum cruise cable and box underneath my driver side battery but havent understood why it is there if it wont work or does the compter on the vp tell it what to do?
You probably have an early 2001. You can also verify by checking if you have rear drums. That would also indicate that you have an early 2001 which explains why you would have the vaccum cruise cable instead of electronic cruise. The electronic cruise was done to save Chrysler $$ by eliminating the vaccum cruise canister and cable, but could only be done on the manual transmissions because the autos still needed the cable to go down to the tranny itself. With just the electronic cruise, the auto tranny would think that you were always at 0% throttle and wouldn't shift right.

Does that help explain it any better?

·
Registered
438 Posts
My cruise works fine. vacuum w/24v TPS. I ONLY removed the VP.
That stands to reason. It's established that folks with the vaccum cruise have it made in the shade as far as cruise control goes, while us with the electronic cruise will need to figure something out to keep cruise working after the P-pump swap.

On a side note.....does anyone know what the resistor values are for the cruise buttons on the steering wheel for 98.5 - 01.4? Even better would be a wiring diagram. I have one for my 01.5, but I'd like to compare it to the previous models. I would also take any donated cruise canisters to experiment on. :party018:

·
Premium Member
7,955 Posts
would it not be conceivable to swap the whole cruise set-up from an auto truck, sans the buttons? or an older stick truck?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I started a thread on this a while ago and have the parts to try it but never got around to it. i have a '01 6speed vp with almost all the parts to p-pump plus the vacuum actuator for the cruze. my truck has the plug for it under the battery tray i just dont know if i plug it in if it will work? i dont know if the computer is programed to make it move or not. my friend has an '01 also that is vacuum controled vp cruze but his is an auto trans. i guess i just need to plug it in and see if i can get it to move. i'll let ya know if i find anything. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
would it not be conceivable to swap the whole cruise set-up from an auto truck, sans the buttons? or an older stick truck?
Sure would be. I'm thinking that I'll first just install the cruise actuator under the battery tray. If that doesn't work then I'll try swapping out my PCM (the one mounted behind the air box on the firewall) for one from an early 01 manual transmission truck (5 or 6speed). The reason I don't think that a PCM from an automatic will work is because I believe that it looks for some signals from the auto tranny. Don't quote me on the auto tranny signals, but I think it looks for the park switch and maybe even a speed signal from the transmission. Like I said, don't quote me on those signals. All I know is one of my friends just did a swap from auto to manual tranny and afterwards he doesn't have cruise. So his PCM isn't happy about something there and isn't letting him use cruise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I started a thread on this a while ago and have the parts to try it but never got around to it. i have a '01 6speed vp with almost all the parts to p-pump plus the vacuum actuator for the cruze. my truck has the plug for it under the battery tray i just dont know if i plug it in if it will work? i dont know if the computer is programed to make it move or not. my friend has an '01 also that is vacuum controled vp cruze but his is an auto trans. i guess i just need to plug it in and see if i can get it to move. i'll let ya know if i find anything. :thumbsup:
Cool, it's a race then! I just started, but I'm starting to collect everything for the P-pump swap. I'll let you know if I find out anything too. I sure hope it's as easy as installing the cruise actuator!

Reactions: swalldog

·
Registered
438 Posts
Update: I just bought an actuator off of ebay. Looks like it shipped out today, but won't get here until Friday or next Monday. Oh well, it's not like I would be able to get it on the truck right away anyhow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Update: I just bought an actuator off of ebay. Looks like it shipped out today, but won't get here until Friday or next Monday. Oh well, it's not like I would be able to get it on the truck right away anyhow.
Any luck in getting the cruise to work yet?

·
Registered
202 Posts
My tps is plugged in on my stick electric truck. So im gonna see if it works

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any luck in getting the cruise to work yet?
No not yet. I do have that actuator sitting in my garage. I had a couple of obstacles get in the way of me P-pumping my truck just yet. I had to replace the clutch and then just the other day I had to replace my batteries (on the wife's car too! :doh:). All money and time that was intending to go towards the pump swap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just wondering if youve had time to play with your truck or not to see if that cruise setup will work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i got an 02 with the same plug under the battery box, im gonna try to hook up the vaccum set up off another truck, i'll post my results

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just wondering if youve had time to play with your truck or not to see if that cruise setup will work.
No I sure haven't. I've been working on getting parts (slowly), and work has had me travelling some lately. I might try to put it on this weekend. I probably should try to get it to work before I do the entire P-pump swap, less variables that way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No I sure haven't. I've been working on getting parts (slowly), and work has had me travelling some lately. I might try to put it on this weekend. I probably should try to get it to work before I do the entire P-pump swap, less variables that way.

Thanks for for the update, please keep them coming.

I'm hoping someone figures this out. Its always easier when someone else does the trial and error. ;) We are getting ready to put a 12v in dads 02 6-speed. He would like to have working cruise since it is his daily driver.

BTW Does the ECM (on the side of the engine) or the PCM (on the fire wall) control the cruise?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for for the update, please keep them coming.

I'm hoping someone figures this out. Its always easier when someone else does the trial and error. ;) We are getting ready to put a 12v in dads 02 6-speed. He would like to have working cruise since it is his daily driver.

BTW Does the ECM (on the side of the engine) or the PCM (on the fire wall) control the cruise?
haha, I know what you mean by having somebody else do the trial and error part!

That's a good question.....when you have the "electronic cruise", the ECM on the engine is doing the controlling (that was one little step to make it that much more difficult to replace the Cummins with a Mercedes diesel). When you have the "actuator cruise", the PCM on the firewall does the controlling. That's why I'm somewhat hopeful that it will work by simply pluging in the actuator. The way I figure it, the worst case scenario will require buying an early '01 PCM.

I'm going to give it a try to get this done this weekend, but I must say that my cab heat is going to take priority over the cruise.:S:

My only concern is that if it does work by simply plugging the actuator in, I'll have dual (or dueling :engarde: :hehe:) cruise controls!

·
Registered
438 Posts
One more note, I am going to use an adapter to use the 24valve TPS sensor. That way I don't have to splice or buy a different throttle cable, and this way I'll know that the cruise cable will fit right too. I don't know if others sell them, but I know that TURBOLVR does.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, I installed my cruise control actuator today! Here's how the install went. I wasn't complicated at all, but I figured I would take some pictures to do a write up......that way I can get some practice for my P-pump swap later.

This is the cruise actuator that I bought on ebay:

This is the battery tray that you need to remove to perfom this. There are 2 bolts on the side going into the fender, 2 nuts on the bottom of the tray and 2 more nuts that you have to reach from the bottom, looking up from the ground.

These are the 2 nuts that you have to reach from underneath:

Here is the connector for the battery temp sensor. If you are having too much trouble disconnecting it, you can slide it off of the clip by pushing it towards the fender. Then you might be able to get to it a little easier. Just don't for get to plug it back in, your charging and intake air heaters depend on it!

This is how it looks with the battery tray out. Notice the connector laying there on the fender, that's what plugs into the cruise actuator. Make sure that you get your actuator off of a truck of the same year of yours. If not, do some research to make sure that your connector will hook up. I know that my friend's 12 valve 2nd gen truck had a different style connector, but I don't know when Dodge changed connectors or how many times they did.

These are the mounting bosses that you'll use for mounting the actuator. You'll need to use something more like a license plate screw. Sorry that I don't have the size of the screws that I used. I just used what I had in my toolbox.

Here is the actuator mounted to the battery tray. Maybe you can do this without removing the battery tray, but I think at best it is going to be very tight.

This is the connector just before I pushed it all the way on and latched it.

There is a secondary latch on this type of connector. I took a picture of the ABS module connector to show a little easier. They're the same brand of connector (Framatome). Notice the red tab in the "unlocked" position.

When you hear the connector click by pushing it all the way together, you will be able to push the red tab inward to the connector. You will only be able to do the secondary latch when the connector is fully mated.

I routed the cable and vacuum hose between the charge air tube and the engine.

I removed one of the plugs on the vacuum manifold on the firewall.

And plugged in the vacuum line from the actuator.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Here is the hole that the cable goes through.

Be sure to snap the cable into the hole. The hole isn't exactly square so be sure to pay attention to how the cable goes in.

The cable end attaches like so...

And snaps together like this. And you're done!

Now that I have all that done, I feel kinda silly to report that I haven't taken it for a drive yet. :hehe: It was getting late, my son and I hadn't had dinner yet and my wife is really sick (flu) so I needed to get back in the house to see how she's doing. Plus she can't take care of the dogs alone in this state. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it tomorrow.

Reactions: NotmyJK

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, I took it out for a drive this morning and it didn't seem to work for me. :nowork:

Does anyone have a PCM from an early 2001 manual tranny truck that I could borrow to see if it works?

·
Registered
177 Posts
One more note, I am going to use an adapter to use the 24valve TPS sensor. That way I don't have to splice or buy a different throttle cable, and this way I'll know that the cruise cable will fit right too. I don't know if others sell them, but I know that TURBOLVR does.
I also have one of these adapters from Turbolvr :thumbsup:

Reactions: blu_by_u
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.