Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

cross country move

722 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ZcrazyG
Hi guys! Ive spent the last several hours and couple days reviewing web sites and forums and am still unsure about my move. I currently have a 2001 dodge cummins 4x4 2500 with 150 gph fass, +50 hp hrvp44 IP, k&n filter, firestone airbags on the rear 315 16r toyo mt 4.11 gears. I recently purchased a 24' enclosed car hauler weighing in at about 3500-3750# empty. not sure ill have to go look again. I am loading up my household goods in it and moving around 2500-3000 miles across country. "professional movers" estimated my goods at about 8k# (overestimated to be on the safe side) now the trailer has a weight distributing hitch on it and electric brakes and i have a controller hooked up in the cab as well. Should i consider getting some sorta power programmer such as Edge or smarty or even super chips or banks? Id really like to do something to the truck to make it handle the load easier so i have even less to worry about. I deffinantly dont mind spending the extra money to ensure a safe trip. thank you for your time.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Sounds to me like you will do fine as is. I left with my completely stock 3.55 geared '01 2500 4x4 two days after I took ownership Three of us left for New Orleans with a 29' TT, and a bed full of food, chain saws, rope, and other supplies. When I weighed on a state scale in NE OR we weighed 17,900 lbs. I felt the rig did an outstanding job of pulling this load. We only lost speed on a couple of hills all the way down and the only trouble we had was the starter. I knew it was going bad but did not have time to change it out before we left. It took a dump at the very last fuel stop before we hit our destination. That was our only issue down and back.

There is no such thing as too much power, only a little too much right foot. :lol3: :lol3: :peelout :peelout :peelout
However, I felt the power we had as a stocker was adequate. :thud::CRY:

· Registered
4,642 Posts
i had a stock 01 and i think you will be fine just the way it is.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I MADE IT! :hyper: So the trip went pretty well and the truck pulled pretty good. kept my rpm's just shy of 2k the entire trip till i got on some hills and then i could deffinantly feel it back there. Stupid me left cruse ctrl on going through wyoming and the truck over heated on a really long hill. Made it throught that and all the way to oklahoma with out any more problems. Could deffinantly feel that trailer back there on some of the curves, i swear it felt like i was drifting a few times and it was pretty uncomfortable. straight roads were fine, but damn to curves and i was taking them much slower than the recommended speeds, usually atleast 10 mph slower if not more. Thinking for towing i should really use a dually. after it overheated thought it does seem like it smokes a little more and has a little less power thought. dunno though maybe its a change in out side air temperature causing that since i am used to the temps in WA compaired to OK. Good 40 degrees difference or maybe a boost leak? dunno ill watch it for any more changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.