Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone I'm new to the forums, been lurking around reading a bit- and on the DTR site. I live in Vail Arizona which is close to Tucson AZ. Anyways I've started a project here, hoping it will work out well. Main reason for doing all this is that my D250 will not tow a trailer up our driveway to our new house and it barely makes it by itself. Well, I picked up a divorced ford drivers drop NP205 transfer case, a frame from a 95 cummins complete with a dana 60 and a 1974 D200 crewcab dodge- total of parts and the crewcab so far is $2200... So I'll be making 3 trucks into 1: the rear half of the crewcab frame, front half of the 95 4x4 frame, the D250 trucks doors, fenders, front facia, engine trans and rear axle, interior and the NP205 will tie all the axles together...

Sorry about the crappy pictures, I've been using my phone since I lost my camera...

95 frame with Dana 60:

All the meanwhile I have the transmissions out of these 2 landcruisers and 3 more outside with more maintenance... I fix these things for a living.

I did have some questions:

Has anyone ever put the frame from a 95 or part of one under a 1st gen?

What years of the 2nd gen motor mounts will bolt onto the 1st gen engine?

Does anyone know how different the widths are between the 2nd gen and 1st gen axles?

Why the heck am I doing this?

BTW, thank you to the guys who have done this and documented it, Johnny5 and many others are inspirational to the cause.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Awesome project, keep us updated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
395 Posts
i have seen trucks with 2nd gen frames under them ....cant help much with your other questions

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made some progress, been very busy with work so I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the project. I did find my camera, hopefully no more cell phone pics...

Bed lifted

95 frame cut

Cab lifted off frame, I do not have the ability to lift it off and haul it out of the way, I'll have to work with this. I had to remove the rear axle and roll the frame from under the cab...

Frame out from under cab and next to 95

Front of old frame cut off.

95 frame with tires on, almost ready to mate to crewcab frame...

Mated, I have more gusseting to do to the frame, but the 2 went together really well. Found some really accurate places to measure to... I will wait till final gusseting because I am pretty sure the trans cross member is going to go right where the 2 frames come together. Sure enough, whatever tooling dodge is using to make the newer boxed front section slides right inside of the older frames- made the process very easy...

Found some cracks in the cowl that need addressed...

I pressure washed the frame, cleaned up a bit, next is to mount the divorced transfer, fab up some front body mounts and start working on the cab... This is proving to be a lot of work :S:

·
Banned
254 Posts
A few words of experience, for future use.
I did this on the DAMNCHARGER.

If all you have is jackstands, and you want to lift a body to roll a frame under it, place the jackstands as wide apart as the outside edge of the wheels on the rolling frame.

Place the stands at the end you want to roll past them, then place a 4x4 the appropriate length across the top of the jackstands, at the proper height.

In THIS case BOTH sets of stands need a wider stance, if you put the rear axle back under the frame.

Jacking and blocking it up and down is a hassle, and time consuming, but an engine hoist can also be handy to help it up and down with.

It's a LOT of work without an 'A' frame, forklift or car lift (IDEAL!), but it beats having 4 or 6 guys stumbling around trying to set it on.

The body on the DAMNCHARGER went off of one frame, and onto the other, with NO other human help, just me, the car hauler, a cherry picker, floor jack, 4 jackstands, a 12 foot long 4x4 and a bunch of tires with wheels, for extra blocking height.

It WAS a monumental undertaking that I'm not in a hurry to repeat.

Mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few words of experience, for future use.
I did this on the DAMNCHARGER.

If all you have is jackstands, and you want to lift a body to roll a frame under it, place the jackstands as wide apart as the outside edge of the wheels on the rolling frame.

Place the stands at the end you want to roll past them, then place a 4x4 the appropriate length across the top of the jackstands, at the proper height.

In THIS case BOTH sets of stands need a wider stance, if you put the rear axle back under the frame.

Jacking and blocking it up and down is a hassle, and time consuming, but an engine hoist can also be handy to help it up and down with.

It's a LOT of work without an 'A' frame, forklift or car lift (IDEAL!), but it beats having 4 or 6 guys stumbling around trying to set it on.

The body on the DAMNCHARGER went off of one frame, and onto the other, with NO other human help, just me, the car hauler, a cherry picker, floor jack, 4 jackstands, a 12 foot long 4x4 and a bunch of tires with wheels, for extra blocking height.

It WAS a monumental undertaking that I'm not in a hurry to repeat.

Mark.
Thanks Mark, maybe when I go back together I'll do that so I can roll the entire chassis under the cab. I'll leave it for now since it would make maneuvering around the shop a pain, but it wouldn't be hard to do to get it back under...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had but today to work on the truck, but these are from today:

From left to right crewcab body mount from 1974, good 1st gen dodge body mount, and 1995 body mount. I've decided to go with the 2nd gen body mounts, not only because of the age but the design is a great improvement over the old mounts.

Front 95 cab mount cut off. I still prefer the torch over the plasma on these, I can get closer cuts without cutting the frame...

Stock rear mount marked and removed...

Mount from front most of crewcab frame, the rear 2 mounts have a kickout and these fits better here.

New mount attached

Rear mounts finished, with a built in 1" body lift...

Front of frame cleaned up ready for new front mounts.

Front mount half welded in place, will finish next time frame comes out.

Frame and body clearance looks good, new frame section fits very well.

Here is the divorced mount Ford drivers drop NP 205

And the driveshaft, I got this and the 205 for $200... All 1410 U joints, except front which may be a 1350.

Even though it's temporary, it feels good to see the cab being supported by the frame again

I think I wore out my tape measure doing all this, everything sure seems good though, I pulled the 93 down and it looks like the front rad support/body mounts are going to be a piece of cake. Steering looks easy enough- I haven't seen any real head scratchers yet...

I will be boxing the frame from the front boxed section to the front leaf spring mount, looks like 7" flat stock will fit nicely :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a house and had to move shop too. Truck is here but the house has taken priority, I know boring- sorry. I usually finish stuff pretty quick but it's our first house and I'm pretty involved with fixing it. I'll get burned out on the house after spring and get back on the truck...

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Well how did it turn out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts