Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who has found a decent looking alternative to black tape when blocking the cel light? Possibly thin tinted plexi?
A passengers thumb?::confused013:

07.5 6.7 2500 Toyhauler-hauler

·
Registered
152 Posts
i vote for duct tape :thumbsup: add a little mexican chrome to your dash! :lol4: j/k

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I haven't done this, but I have heard others have. Take apart the dash, and remove the bulb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:thumbsup:so...I should duct tape a passengers thumb over the cel ? Excellent!

07.5 6.7 2500 toyhauler-hauler

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't done this, but I have heard others have. Take apart the dash, and remove the bulb.
I would, since Ive got a code reader and pretty much know when to check my engine, but some dashes use led's --- I'm not sure about rams.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My decent alternative = XRT. Its very Effective.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My diesel seems to run the best when I don't reset my cel on startup. My cel is just a basic egr delete code. After a bunch of the usual 6.7 stuff I've got a solid, reliable ride.
that cel is a badge of honor to me--I just would like that badge to be a little less glaring at night!

·
Registered
757 Posts
well i kno that they used led's in the gauge clustre there are about 10 of them in there i htink but i dont htink you can just pull the cel one i think that one is built in

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think your right. Most assembly lines use pre-made boards w/soldered in led's. + I don't mind the cel enough to tear apart my dash and jack it up. Today for the 500th time a new passenger commented that "dude -your engine is f-'d up, look at that light." And I had to explain that I spent good money to make that light come on and it's a good thing etc.
I don't think he beleived me, but he certainly got pale when I showed him a 3 gear smoker.!!:hehe:

·
Registered
240 Posts
i cut out a picture of my 2 kids, it is like 2" by 2", i get to see my kids and no cel. it works good even at night...

and no it doesnt block any of the other guages.
r/ Coty

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you got it all wrong, The CEL is to tell you that the engine is still there, I always strange when I don't see it... :hehe:

·
Registered
757 Posts
yea cyberdiesel i took mine apart cause im changing the gauge lights to blue led and you can change out the lights for the gauges but it isnt like the old ones where you can change every single light

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This probably didn't warrant a thread, but that light was starting to bug me. I settled on a triangle of paper thin plexiglas w/ a smoke-tint. Used a dremel to smooth corners and it just popped into the lower edge. A .99 cent solution and I still retain my ghetto standing!

-----------------------------------------
07.5 sport 6.7 2500 Toyhauler - hauler

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are you guys doing about other things that might set off the CEL that you really do or should want to know about? I understand the deletes but what about something else that could cause the CEL to come on while driving?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I used to take apart the gauge cluster and inistall a piece of electrical tape to the inside of the cluster to block the light. If you put the tape under the gauge overlay then you won't even see it.

I haven't tried it on the dodge yet as I don't have a CEL on so it's not high on my priority list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts