Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this truck in July, previous owners bought the mack daddy warranty when new and it follows the truck. I've only got 69,500km on it, and the powertrain/emissions systems is covered till March 2023, or 125k whichever is first (confirmed with my local ram shop). I'll time out before I mile out as I only drive 10k a year.
Plan to keep the truck for 10-15 years.

Really struggling to decide if it's worth voiding that warranty

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Loaded question and there will be a bunch of opinions. Here’s mine. I wouldn’t trust a dealer to fix anything major properly. The only a warranty would be nice to have, is to fix something major. Lol then there is fighting to get it covered. Maybe that’s an issue, maybe it isn’t. There’s always keeping your stuff and returning to stock of warranty is needed as well. Maybe they won’t catch that it had been tuned.

I had warranty left and decided I’d rather get rid of the crap, even if it cost me my warranty.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,336 Posts
I'm of similar opinion as @Aburdett .. trust a tech or dealer on something? no thanks. jenny craig put my '19 on the program right at 10k miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer has been pretty good...I had the oil cooler crack on my jeep wrangler 4 days after powertrain was up and they got it covered.

I did already buy the delete pipe and twister like you recommended lol. Getting baked and shopping online should be illegal for me. I'm one round of edibles away from buying the efi live on dirtydiesel

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My dealer has been pretty good...I had the oil cooler crack on my jeep wrangler 4 days after powertrain was up and they got it covered.

I did already buy the delete pipe and twister like you recommended lol. Getting baked and shopping online should be illegal for me. I'm one round of edibles away from buying the efi live on dirtydiesel

The dealer don’t make the decision when major work is concerned. Soooo eat away and enjoy your truck. Buy the shibby plug kit for your year of truck as well. The def injector line and fill lines are easy to disconnect. Good luck. Let us know how the delete goes.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Easy question. Do you have/want to fork out ~$6K for a new transmission if it gives out? ~$10K+ if it swallows a grid heater bolt?

You if you are okay with paying that out of pocket vs getting it for free with the warranty then delete it.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Are you sure the warranty is still good? Previous owner may have tuned it and put it back to stock thus voiding the warranty without knowing and if something bad happens and they dig into it and find out you'll be screwed anyway.

·
1,034 Posts
My 2017 5500 dropped a valve at 11759kms cost me over 30k once everything was done. New engine from dfc. The turbo and one injector was destroyed. The down time plus tow bills etc. The 6.7 is a piece of crap with far too much Chinesium. Learned my lesson not to buy anything built after the bailouts.

On another note there is no going back. Once its been deleted you can never undo it with tuning like the ol days. Hence that unlock cable used for 13+ deletes.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
And you don’t need an unlock cable for 13 and up. You need for 18.

Why do you drive such a pos truck then? And why did it cost you 30k for an engine?

·
1,034 Posts
My truck is no pos. The new ones are garbage. When I closed my company I got rid of all of those pieces of crap. Both 14s the 15 and the 17 all Laramies. Got sick of transmission issues and everything else.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Nope.... the dealership scanner goes deeper into that ecm than anything we can get our hands on. I know of 2 guys returned to stock when their garbage auto transmissions crapped out. They put everything back and both denied warranty. The dealer said it shows the unlock and thats it.
Tell yourself whatever you want to put your mind at ease though.
So they tuned their trucks, then broke the transmissions. Yup dealer should def have ate that cost. What a pos.

·
1,034 Posts
And you don’t need an unlock cable for 13 and up. You need for 18.

Why do you drive such a pos truck then? And why did it cost you 30k for an engine?
The tow bill was $2400 because the truck weighed 18400lbs, he engine from dfc was 12k, the turbo and injector was 5k, the mechanic bill was 4400 to have the engine swapped. 3 days of lost work.

·
1,034 Posts
So they tuned their trucks, then broke the transmissions. Yup dealer should def have ate that cost. What a pos.
They ran their trucks on stock power. They are work trucks. They just had the emissions pile up from lots of idling working oilfield in northern bc ab. The -30 gotta leave it run.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you sure the warranty is still good? Previous owner may have tuned it and put it back to stock thus voiding the warranty without knowing and if something bad happens and they dig into it and find out you'll be screwed anyway.
When the dealer told me about the warranty a few months ago (I didn't know about it when I bought the truck), he asked if it was okay to quickly scan my truck to check if the truck was ever tampered with. So they did confirm that the extended plan was good till march 2023 or 115k.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The tow bill was $2400 because the truck weighed 18400lbs, he engine from dfc was 12k, the turbo and injector was 5k, the mechanic bill was 4400 to have the engine swapped. 3 days of lost work.
And warranty would have covered all that and your loss of work? Give your head a shake. So the motor was 12k not 30. The motor cost you 30k maybe. But it didn’t cost that.

Here’s the thing. With no warranty, you fixed it immediately. With warranty, you could have waited weeks. Way more than it would have costed you the way you did it calculating in lost work. And you wouldn’t have a choice who did the work. If it’s a vehicle I rely on, I’m picking who fixes it and what’s replaced.

·
1,034 Posts
And warranty would have covered all that and your loss of work? Give your head a shake. So the motor was 12k not 30. The motor cost you 30k maybe. But it didn’t cost that.

Here’s the thing. With no warranty, you fixed it immediately. With warranty, you could have waited weeks. Way more than it would have costed you the way you did it calculating in lost work. And you wouldn’t have a choice who did the work. If it’s a vehicle I rely on, I’m picking who fixes it and what’s replaced.
The turbo, engine and work was 21k. The turbo was destroyed when pieces of the piston went though it. Try and math a little better next time

1 - 20 of 63 Posts