Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to say the least...I think I got some issues. I'm finishing up a fummins swap and have had some troubles, on first hard test of the engine the stock h1c blew to bits...that was ok cause I planed on running a 351ve fron the get, but used the stock turbo for first test... so got the vgt set up, and then the injection pump went. so I got a used pump and swapped it.

The new to me pump was fully tweaked I was told and the PO did a p-pump converson.

when I first installed it the timing was way off but changing the gear teeth fixed it. (this pump needs to be to teeth advanced compared to my old pump)

So I thought the truck was good to go...minus some major changing of the pump settings (it smoked way too much) after a run around the neighborhood I noticed oil or fuel coming out the exhaust manifold gaskets.:confused013: took it apart and this is what I found.

and this is the flex joint that my down pipe goes into

all this soot-n-oil is from just a few hours of run time.:doh:

It fires on first crank. Sounds good and ran well... it white smokes a little and I was thinking it needed more timing and smoke screw adj. but this is crazy.

Can it be the inj. pump? The engine ran great befor the swap. It also has new 7x11 injectors...could they have be set up wrong?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I had fuel dripping from the ex manifold from mine one time and it turned out to be the timing gear slipped and advanced it way too far. You're sure its oil and not fuel?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had fuel dripping from the ex manifold from mine one time and it turned out to be the timing gear slipped and advanced it way too far. You're sure its oil and not fuel?
I do think it is probably fuel... In the tank is 50/50 mix soy oil and #2 diesel so there is no distinect diesel smell.

Coolant and oil are at normal levels.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The drive gear of the VE injection pump is keyed to it's shaft. How did yours "slip"?
I just got to thinking, the gear on mine got loose and sheared the key and in the process I guess ate the pump shaft a long time ago and it has slipped twice since then. The key way got messed up. I doubt thats the problem on his then, thanks for catching me on that.:thumbsup:

BTW,(my pump is supposedly fixed now)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I do think it is probably fuel... In the tank is 50/50 mix soy oil and #2 diesel so there is no distinect diesel smell.

Coolant and oil are at normal levels.
You might have an injector that for some reason has stuck open, I'v had that happen too and it made fuel drip from the manifold.

If its fuel, its most likely either an injector malfunction or a timing issue. It would'nt be a bad idea to check the compression also.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If its oil it could be from the turbo that blew and you havent drove it enough to burn it out. but if thats not the case I dont see it as an inj. hung open because it seems to be in all the cylinders. How much blowby do you have?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its oil it could be from the turbo that blew and you havent drove it enough to burn it out. but if thats not the case I dont see it as an inj. hung open because it seems to be in all the cylinders. How much blowby do you have?
Ha, I was just getting ready to post that all cylinder ports are wet... So all injectors would have to be hanging.

This is new exhaust pipe, since the first turbo blew, and it's wet pre turbo (first pic is the head exhaust ports.)

Blow by was nonexistant befor the swap and seams very minimal now.

I'm thinking the injectors are poping late... Maybe I should contact the inj. Builder.:confused013:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I understand its preturbo but what happens is the oil from the blown turbo goes into the intake then out of the exhaust. Are the intake tracts oil free?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand its preturbo but what happens is the oil from the blown turbo goes into the intake then out of the exhaust. Are the intake tracts oil free?
I gotcha. All intake side is dry.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'd say get the injectors popped, the builder will usually be happy to check them out for you. And check the timing if the injectors check out ok. Good luck

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Well no luck with getting my injectors pop tested locally. Closest shop is 40 miles away and they got to send 'em out anyway.

The builder of these is in WI and I'm in Fl... Maybe I should look into making a homemade pop tester. Hmm. (probably expensive)

Guess I'll clean everything up, put it back together and recheck timing.

Maybe all this is from when I switched injection pumps and had it retarded too teeth and it just aint had enough run time with it corrected.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have been running the heck out of the truck every chance I get...oil and coolant are still at proper levels. Pulled the down pipe the other day and to my pleasant surprise, ALL DRY...:party018:

Another kink that seams to have worked it self out... When I would start the truck. (with cold engine) I had to rig the throttle to give it more fuel or it would die. but once warm idled perfect.
Now it idles fine cold or warm.:confused013:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Thats good it seems to have fixed its self.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts