Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the truck yesterday to go to work. I heard a faint screeching sound coming from under the hood. Thought wet belt maybe. It starts at 1000 rpm and gets louder. Sorta calmed down a little bit once It got up to temp. But it is still there. So I am guessing it's not a wet belt. Fan clutch?? Water pump??
Please help it's driving me crazy!
Any thing I can check/adjust?
It actually seems like it's getting worse. The truck is totally stock right now. I just got my EDGE delivered today and now I am afraid to install it until I get this screeching figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Fan clutch, idler pully, water pump, Alt, it has to be one!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
How old is your belt?

·
Cummins Whisperer
796 Posts
I had a similar noise and it turned out to be a bearing on the a/c compressor. I put a non-a/c belt on until I got it fixed.
Good Luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Belt looks like its in good shape it's definitely not new.But It's tight. I figured it had to be something in the belt line. I did use the a/c the other day for the first time. I was hoping it was not the a/c or water pump. Any way to check some of these things. It's so hard to pinpoint the noise when it's running

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
my moneys on the fan clutch..it went out my dads old truck and its exactly what youre describing

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any way to test it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's not the fan clutch. Checked it / good tension/ no fluid in or around/ no play for/aft.
What next?

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Put a little belt conditioner on the belt to see if that stops the noise. Or, if the belt is a couple of years old, I'd just replace it and then go from there if the noise still exists.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the problem. I pulled up at the gas station to fuel up. Had the truck runnin and this old timer walks up and says " ya know you should really lube that tensioner can't you hear it sqeelin"

And sure as S*#T don't ya know problem solved. Quit as could be! Sometimes it's the simplest things

Thanks everybody for the advice. I am probably gonna change the belt to

1 - 11 of 11 Posts